Question Samambaia Live Aboard in Dec- Raja Ampat - logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to Raja Ampat in Dec to do a live aboard on the Samambaia. The boat embarks on Dec 23. I will be arriving in Jakarta on Dec 17. Giving me five days to chill and adjust. I was planning to arrive in Sorong on the morning of Dec 22- it seems there are night flights that leave Jakarta around midnight and get you to Sorong approximately 6 in the morning.
Is getting to Sorong a full day early enough cushion for this route? Should I consider another flight?
How far in advance should I get my tickets to Sorong? - I saw some comments on the board about particular airlines any additional info would be very helpful.
Has anyone here sailed on the Samambia? I saw some comments but not much.
I was planning on bringing a 3mm full wetsuit that I was going to purchase for this trip- I know its often difficult to give wetsuit advice, everyone has different cold tolerance, but is that what most people wear in Raj in Dec? Do boats there rent full wetsuits or only shorties? Any thoughts on renting vs bringing your own wetsuit would be appreciated as well.
The Samambaia gets back to Sorong on January 3rd is it practical to think I can get back to Jakarta that day? We will have adequate surface time this is more about logistics. On January 4th if we can I would like to get a same day PCR test and catch a flight to Kuala Lumpur any thoughts or insights as to the availability same day testing and traveling to KL from Jakarta.
A lot of question I know- I would welcome any and all feedback about my travel plans
Thank you
Another option is after a day of recovery in Jakarta, fly out to So-wrong and stay in dive resort near there for "check-out dives" before boarding on Samambaia.

Raja Ampat Dive Lodge - The Most Diversed Reefs in The World was pretty good dive resort, 2-hour speedboat ride from Sorong. I was there long time ago though (Dec 2010). However, there are plenty other good dive resort around Dampier Straits since then.

Have a blast in Raja Ampat!

It's a travel agent in Portland, Oregon, that handles Samambaia and Pindito. I have booked a trip on Pindito's Ring of Fire trip for this coming November through Kerri at Subculture Travel LLC | Adventure Travel
yeah I originally reached out to Samambaia but it took forever for them to get back to me so I contacted Kerri and they helped me to make the booking right before it was filled up

Another option is after a day of recovery in Jakarta, fly out to So-wrong and stay in dive resort near there for "check-out dives" before boarding on Samambaia.
I thought the liveaboard will start with some check-out dives at Waisai?

Have you dove in Raja Ampat? If you wear shorty, keep eyes on hydroids. Your exposed knees, shins and ankles may accidentally brush against the hydroids and ended up just like brushing against poison ivy.
Half a dozen times or so. Usually come back with only one or two brushes with hydroids etc. Shorty ensures I pay attention to my buoyancy and not brushing up against hydroids etc. See far too many divers in full suits thrashing their way around not paying attention to what they are "brushing up against".

Worst "brush" was a mid water encounter with a Lionfish - poked me in the knee through the full wetsuit.

Half a dozen times or so. Usually come back with only one or two brushes with hydroids etc. Shorty ensures I pay attention to my buoyancy and not brushing up against hydroids etc. See far too many divers in full suits thrashing their way around not paying attention to what they are "brushing up against".

Worst "brush" was a mid water encounter with a Lionfish - poked me in the knee through the full wetsuit.

I wear full suit all the time because some of the hydroids are more or less invisible to naked eyes/poor eye sight. It is the diver rather than what they are wearing to have poor buoyancy control.

I am going to Raja Ampat in Dec to do a live aboard on the Samambaia. The boat embarks on Dec 23. I will be arriving in Jakarta on Dec 17. Giving me five days to chill and adjust. I was planning to arrive in Sorong on the morning of Dec 22- it seems there are night flights that leave Jakarta around midnight and get you to Sorong approximately 6 in the morning.
Is getting to Sorong a full day early enough cushion for this route? Should I consider another flight?
How far in advance should I get my tickets to Sorong? - I saw some comments on the board about particular airlines any additional info would be very helpful.
Has anyone here sailed on the Samambia? I saw some comments but not much.
I was planning on bringing a 3mm full wetsuit that I was going to purchase for this trip- I know its often difficult to give wetsuit advice, everyone has different cold tolerance, but is that what most people wear in Raj in Dec? Do boats there rent full wetsuits or only shorties? Any thoughts on renting vs bringing your own wetsuit would be appreciated as well.
The Samambaia gets back to Sorong on January 3rd is it practical to think I can get back to Jakarta that day? We will have adequate surface time this is more about logistics. On January 4th if we can I would like to get a same day PCR test and catch a flight to Kuala Lumpur any thoughts or insights as to the availability same day testing and traveling to KL from Jakarta.
A lot of question I know- I would welcome any and all feedback about my travel plans
Thank you
Lots of answers already but I'll add a couple of thoughts based on pre-COVID experience. First, whenever possible, I choose Garuda for internal flights. I find them to be a far more reliable airline and the free baggage allowance for scuba takes the sting out of their higher prices. Flying Garuda, I'm generally comfortable flying Jakarta-Sorong/Sorong-Jakarta the day of my international flights. We're planning a trip on Samambaia in late October/early November, and I'm planning on flying out of Jakarta the day we disembark--assuming the US has done away with entry testing requirements by then.

On wetsuits, I would not go with anything less than a 3mm fullsuit. 10 days of diving saps my resistance to cold. Once or twice, I've found myself comfortably diving in board shorts and a vest in the last days of a trip, but it's not the norm. Personally, I bring a 5mm and a hood and/or a hooded vest for night dives. My wife brings a 5mm and a hooded vest. I've rarely regretted bringing the 5mm over the 3mm.

Finally, even if you love big, crowded cities, I'd consider flying on to Raja and doing a couple of days or more diving land based. Papua Paradise was always more accommodating of short stays. If they survived COVID, I'd give them a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom