Question Samambaia Live Aboard in Dec- Raja Ampat - logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConeyIslander

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to Raja Ampat in Dec to do a live aboard on the Samambaia. The boat embarks on Dec 23. I will be arriving in Jakarta on Dec 17. Giving me five days to chill and adjust. I was planning to arrive in Sorong on the morning of Dec 22- it seems there are night flights that leave Jakarta around midnight and get you to Sorong approximately 6 in the morning.
Is getting to Sorong a full day early enough cushion for this route? Should I consider another flight?
How far in advance should I get my tickets to Sorong? - I saw some comments on the board about particular airlines any additional info would be very helpful.
Has anyone here sailed on the Samambia? I saw some comments but not much.
I was planning on bringing a 3mm full wetsuit that I was going to purchase for this trip- I know its often difficult to give wetsuit advice, everyone has different cold tolerance, but is that what most people wear in Raj in Dec? Do boats there rent full wetsuits or only shorties? Any thoughts on renting vs bringing your own wetsuit would be appreciated as well.
The Samambaia gets back to Sorong on January 3rd is it practical to think I can get back to Jakarta that day? We will have adequate surface time this is more about logistics. On January 4th if we can I would like to get a same day PCR test and catch a flight to Kuala Lumpur any thoughts or insights as to the availability same day testing and traveling to KL from Jakarta.
A lot of question I know- I would welcome any and all feedback about my travel plans
Thank you

I was on the Samambaia and absolutely loved it. Beautiful boat and great food. I was diving in shorts and rashguard and was fine. I was there in March, not sure a water temp differs.

I took a flight through the night and went to the boat just when I arrived but having an extra day I guess does not hurt in case of delays. I also was able to fly out the same day we got back to Sorong.

Here's a video from the trip

I was on the Samambaia and absolutely loved it. Beautiful boat and great food. I was diving in shorts and rashguard and was fine. I was there in March, not sure a water temp differs.

I took a flight through the night and went to the boat just when I arrived but having an extra day I guess does not hurt in case of delays. I also was able to fly out the same day we got back to Sorong.

Here's a video from the trip
THANK YOU!! and WOW WOW WOW I really appreciate your reply!

1. What airline are you using to fly to Jakarta? 5 days to chill out in Jakarta? 5 days too many! I hate the traffic in that city.
2. You are better off to arrive at Sorong at least a day earlier.
3. Bring your own thermal protection because it should fit you.
4. Flight schedule might change in Dec/Jan.
5. Same day PCR and flight to KL in Jan 2023? Why don't you check it if it is possible now?
6. PCR test might not be required by then!
7. If you can afford the time, an extra day at the end of the trip won't hurt.

Booked on Samambia in October - moderately new boat all reviews are pretty much raves, very experienced operator.

I would not want to spend 5 days waiting in Jakarta if I could avoid it. See if you can find a place to dive for a few days before. Personally I would go to Lembeh (if that is even possible with the arrival rules) or fly in to Bali instead of Jakarta and dive locally for a few days (which is what I am doing in October, unless the rules change and then I will go on to Ambon for a few days and dive there before boarding Samambia). Gives you some easy diving to get everything sorted out before getting on the liveaboard. Arriving the day before leaving on the liveaboard is a good idea but not completely necessary if you are already in Indonesia. Arriving early in the AM on the 23 would give enough of a cushion for a liveaboard leaving that afternoon IMHO. An extra day does not hurt however!

3mm full would be overkill for me. I typically dive a 1/2 shorty during the day and then a 2/3 full at night. Would never rent exposure protection. I want it to fit.

I once had a flight from Sorong to Bali, a hotel booked overnight in Sanur and then a flight home that day. Never made the hotel. The flight was several hours late and I did not make it to Bali until the next day. I made my flight only because I booked an extra day before leaving on my international flight. I always book an extra day before leaving on an international flight when in Indonesia.

Had much the same happen flying in to Bali from North America. This time it was snow and everything flying from NA was arriving late. My luggage arrived the next day and I spent 9 hours in the old domestic terminal in Bali trying to make connections.

Thank you Premo83, Centrals and Darnold9999 really appreciate the insights, reviews and suggestions.

I am Flying Asiana from New York, I leave NY on Thursday 15th at 5:00PM and arrive in Jakarta at 6:00AM on Saturday 17th - we are flying coach, so I am sure that we will be exhausted, Saturday will no doubt be a wash. That leaves 3 or 4 days to explore the city- I know traffic, pollution, etc but we have never been and would like to experience it, and if its completely dismal we can do day trips. We had a good time in Manila so how much crazier can Jakarta be lol.
It looks like we will be able to get back to Jakarta the day our boat arrives back at Sorong so we will give it a try. I will buy the round trip ticket for that day late afternoon. If PCR testing is still required to enter Malaysia in January we will hopefully find a place to do it in Jakarta that provides a quick turn around- I will continue to check. We are planning for about two weeks in Malaysia then take the ferry from Langkawi to Koh Lipe.

Any airline suggestions or tips for my flights Jakarta to Sorong? How far in advance should I book them? Do they frequently sell out or are the seats readily available?

Again I thank you all for your assistance
Cheers!

I dont think four nights in Jakarta is a terrible idea. The first night you will be trashed from travel, and it makes perfect sense to take a break, get a nice hotel, sleep in a bed, shower, etc... instead of traveling on to Sorong or elsewhere. If you enjoyed Manila, you will enjoy Jakarta, and the traffic isn't what it was a few years ago. We have great restaurants, crazy mega malls, solid nightlife, a few fun touristy things to do, and the people are amazing. If you do a nice hotel and want to see more of Indonesia than scuba and beaches, I think it is a great place to get over jetlag for a few days. I am happy to offer some ideas if needed.

As for neoprene... for sure bring a full 3 mil. I have never once been too warm on a dive in my life, and there are stingy things around. Some are really, really small. If you get cold. and you might after 4 dives a day for a week, invest in a 3 mil hooded vest you can pull over your wetsuit. I think hooded vests are the greatest thing ever invented.

Anyway, just my two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom