Salvo 21W HID problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunnyboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In another new topic, I have mentioned my failed Salvo 21W HID and asked for equivalent LED light recommendations.

In this thread, I'd like to ask for help diagnosing the Salvo problem.

Yesterday it seemed so obvious - during a dive, about 15 min while scootering, the light just shut off. I tried turning it off and on again, and the light just 'blipped', that is on/off instantly.

I got home, rinsed and dried the light and tried again. Again the blip of light. I tested the battery and it was almost full charge, 13.5V (expected after only 15min on).

I waited last night until it was at room temp, and again it just blipped when I tested it.

Now the weird part. Today, as I was in the dive room putting away the other gear that had been hanging up to dry in the shower, I tried the light on last time. I connected the battery, flipped the power switch, and it came on perfectly! I didn't leave it on long as it was not in water (cooling) but it came up fine. I turned it off and on again, and it came on again fine.

Any idea what might be happening? Might it be the bulb, not the ballast? A close examination shows nothing obviously wrong with the bulb, but I'm just at a loss as to what to do now. I certainly can't rely on the light now without some answers.

I will try turning it on and submerging the head to see if it stays on for the normal time or not, but for now I'm stumped. Usually when electronics (like the ballast) go bad, they stay bad.

Had similar issues with a Salvo 35W HID a few yers ago. Replacing the cable fixed it.

Turn it on and fiddle with the cable. If the light goes on and off, its the probably the cable.

It's definitely not the cable. It started fine and died sitting in a sink of water untouched. However, further testing and work with a DVM showed the battery discharged. I charged up the battery fully (14.5v) and tried again and got 2 hours out of the light before I shut it off.

I suspect the power got shut off to the charger before the dive and the battery drained back thru the charger.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.

If you want to get it fixed you could send it to Light Monkey, they're great with Salvos. Their servicing is reasonable and prompt.

If you want to get it fixed you could send it to Light Monkey, they're great with Salvos. Their servicing is reasonable and prompt.

My LM 21w HID was shutting off intermittently. I sent my light for service and LM has stated its a bad ballast and needs replacing. However, they say they cannot by law ship the light back to me. That the "batteries used in the older HID's are not allowed to be shipped any longer". Even though the battery was in fine working order with good capacity.
They stated I would have to buy an entirely new light for a very slight discount. I declined and they still have my light 9 months later.....

So if you do send it in dont ship the battery.

My LM 21w HID was shutting off intermittently. I sent my light for service and LM has stated its a bad ballast and needs replacing. However, they say they cannot by law ship the light back to me. That the "batteries used in the older HID's are not allowed to be shipped any longer". Even though the battery was in fine working order with good capacity.
They stated I would have to buy an entirely new light for a very slight discount. I declined and they still have my light 9 months later.....

So if you do send it in dont ship the battery.

That's weird, I also have an older one and they recently worked on it and sent it back to me. Sorry to hear you had a problem, and they should have warned you about it before you mailed it to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom