Salvo 21w HID - Need Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-junky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an older Salvo 21w HID can light with adjustable head. It has a LiON battery pack in it now that use to get around 6 hours between charges. It no longer takes a charge and I believe It needs a new battery. The light on the charger stays green all the time and the battery is DEAD so I'm assuming its the battery pack. The batteries are at least 4 years old.

I understand Salvo is no longer in business. Can somone tell me where I can get a replacement pack and exactly what type or part number I need to order?

I wish I new more about this technology, but I have to admit I know very little.

Norm (Scuba-Junky)

You can trying a third-party battery builder like batteryspace.com, they have a number of replacement options and can build a custom battery to match your original too. I don't know much about the older Salvos, but there are enough different pack options to make it worth getting in touch with them and giving them the info they need to suggest a suitable replacement?

I have read that Corey and Joel will be announcing a new company at DEMA ... if you can wait a few weeks they may be in a position to help you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This Salvo light is only about 4 years old. It has the LiON battery. Looks like 4 cells in each group and there are 4 groups. Each group must be 12v and hooked in parallel. The beam is adjustable.

I was hoping all of the 21w HIDs would use the same battery systems.

I'm guessing LiON is more expensive than NMhD? Should I consider Metal Hydride or stick with the Lithium?

This Salvo light is only about 4 years old. It has the LiON battery. Looks like 4 cells in each group and there are 4 groups. Each group must be 12v and hooked in parallel. The beam is adjustable.

I was hoping all of the 21w HIDs would use the same battery systems.

I'm guessing LiON is more expensive than NMhD? Should I consider Metal Hydride or stick with the Lithium?

Unless it's a regulated pack, 4 cells in a group means 14.8v (each li-ion cell is 3.7v), but I assume you can't tell for sure unless you know the exact model or you cut the shrink wrap to verify the wiring.

Salvo had Ni-cad and NiMH packs too, and the latest ones were lithium polymer.

I'd imagine you can use a 12v NiMH pack just fine, since that's the voltage the ballast was likely made for. NiMH is indeed cheaper, but you should note that you may not be able to get a NiMH pack that gives you same burn-time as what you got with your li-ion - a 13.5AH NiMH pack probably won't fit in the can. So especially if you change battery chemistries when getting a replacement pack, you need to measure the interior dimensions of the can and pick a battery pack that fits.

You should look @ batteryspace.com, like Gobassa said, and mull it over. They have Salvo-specific packs and other options. It might give you an inkling of the possibilities.

Have you checked to make sure the wires are not damaged? Use a volt ohm meter to confirm connections.

Yep, I checked the wiring. The batteries are bad. Several of them are actually coroded at the ends. I ordered a new battery pack from batteryspace.com about a week ago. The pack wouldn't fit into my canister, so they asked me to ship the battery and canister to them so they could make a battery pack to fit. Can't get customer service much better than that! I can't wait to get it back and in the water again.

Corey and Joel, formerly the guys who actually did all the work at Salvo, have started a new light business, and can do service on Salvo lights (of course, since they're the ones who did the work before). They'll be able to sell you the exact battery you need. Check out their new company at BLOG.LIGHTMONKEY.US They're just getting things off the ground after extricating themselves from the Salvo collapse, but things are definitely looking promising, and they've started shipping new lights. Shoot them an email or give them a call and I'm sure they can help. (Note that they're probably really busy with DEMA this week, however)

If you've already committed to Battery Space, I'd be interested to hear if they're actually able to make a replacement. I know they have readily available NiMH battery packs for Salvos, but have heard reports that the LiIon ones are trickier and many have had a hard time getting them replaced ... but could be I just haven't heard the right story from the right person. If they're able to make you the LiIon battery pack you need, be sure to post back with details!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom