Salutations from SoCal!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Dierkes

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, my name is Dierkes, new to the Board, I'm from SoCal and have been diving for about 3 years now (granted 2020 was not a very active year, given the plague). , SoCal has been great, I've been spending most of my time diving Laguna/Redondo and Catalina. Feels SoCal has so many dive sites I'll never get bored to venture elsewhere.

Hey, I’m new here too, I just got certified a few weeks ago at pacific wilderness. Moved out here a couple years ago now from Michigan (been Covid the whole time).

What are your favorite dives around here? I’ve been looking at going to Catalina or Crystal Cove down in Laguna. So far I’ve done Redondo Beach and Shaw’s Cove (for my OW course).

Feels SoCal has so many dive sites I'll never get bored to venture elsewhere.
I envy you the southern California diving. Some years back I did a trip out to enjoy a Southern Channel Islands live aboard and have fond memories of kelp forest, garibaldi, sheepshead, bat rays, sea lions and harbor seals. It was a refreshingly different offering of life forms distinct from what I was accustomed to from Florida and Caribbean diving.

You may find a similar situation in reverse. While the beauty of the kelp forest and green lushness of some sites, against the gorgeous yellow and oranges of the garibaldi create a striking underwater landscape (plus the purple hydrocoral, if you dive where some is found) stacks up well against coral reefs, I think you'll find tropical coral reefs have an appeal of their own.

And diving warm water without a hood, gloves or thick wetsuit (or a drysuit) is pretty nice. And once you've had your fill of that, it may be time to head off to other destinations looking for sharks!

When I was diving a lot in SoCal many years ago I went out a couple of times in front of the old Marineland in Palos Verdes. I cant remember the access point exactly (and things may be different now with development) but recall that the rocky reef there was a beautiful and fun spot to dive on a low surge day. If you're looking for something new you could explore that?! Have fun!

Welcome to the board!

Back
Top Bottom