Saltwater Dives for Beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Folks, I'm doing my open water cert dives in a week, and wanted to start thinking about what to do once I have that little card. I have my own boat, but I don't expect to use it for diving for perhaps a year or so (so I can learn from the pros first). I am interested in doing boat dives, and was wondering if anyone had input on the locations and outfits that I can dive at/with considering my noob status.

i have dove with scuba tech in Destin and several outfits in Panama city.Most of these dive shops should give you the option of hiring a divemaster to look out for you.My father hired a dive master at Scuba Tech and was very pleased.i took my son on his first ocean dive with Scuba tech also.a divemaster could help with locating the anchor line in less than great vis if your not proficient with a compass.

Hi Folks, I'm doing my open water cert dives in a week, and wanted to start thinking about what to do once I have that little card. I have my own boat, but I don't expect to use it for diving for perhaps a year or so (so I can learn from the pros first). I am interested in doing boat dives, and was wondering if anyone had input on the locations and outfits that I can dive at/with considering my noob status.

since you're on the AL gulf coast, give Gary (algulfdiver here on the board) a call. Check out gulfdiver.net to find his shop information.

There's also Down Under Dive shop in Gulf shores, and Undewater works in Daphne? that run trips.

Welcome to the board!~

The wife and I did St.Andrews Park for our first salt water dives. This is a shore dive.

Just make sure you dive during slack tide. We had a blast, and took our time.

Make sure you take a dive flag if you go.

I highly recommend Gary at Gary's Gulf Diver for us Alabama Divers. He has excellent dive masters and instructors. They do a wide variety of dive sites that are suited to every type of diver. Gary has the patiences of a saint! Which is vital when you start diving. If you want to come play with the Panhandle folks MBT ROCKS! Rich is an excellent dive master there. They have a big store that is full of really cool stuff. Down Under in Gulf Shores does some good easy beginner dives also - Rome, Navy Tug, three mile, etc. Mitch's staff at Down Under are really fun people on and off the boat. If you need additional classes later - Rescue, advanced, etc - Chas at Underwater Works is (in my opinion) the best instructor in all of Alabama for new divers. All the local dive shops - I'm including the Panhandle are very customer focused.

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE MY OWN!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom