Saltitude Resort prices - Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to look for a dive resort opposed to a resort that also offers diving. A dive resort should have a steady flow of divers in and out through the 9 days you want to be there and won't have a problem getting at least 2 people on the boat to make it profitable.

That's exactly what I'm doing.
Looking for a dive resort as opposed to s a resort that happens to offer diving.
Saltitude, to me, comes off as a bonafide dive resort.

Anyways, they're off the list now.

Takeaway of this thread:

Saltitude has poor customer service

Some dive resorts in Anilao still happily follow that backwards archaic regime.

Anilao generally prices so differently due to the way how it started, as a weekend dive hub for the local Manila crowd, and not for foreign guests. So many resorts don't even have any dive staff on salary, it's just dial a boat, dial a spotter (don't get confused with dm, most 'guides' in Anilao are AOW or similar). The boatmen are a mafia that keeps raising their prices, along with the DM association that also charge higher than a lot of other places in the world. This is why small resorts that don't have their own staff charge so much for diving. They don't actually make any money on the diving, they just organize it, and maybe rent out a tank or two. The money mainly goes to the Boat and the DMs. It's fine if you are coming as a group, but for single travelers it gets pricey.

I have a small resort in Anilao, called Blue Ribbon, we actually have our own boats and Divemasters I have trained up from scratch. We charge per dive (1,700), and it doesn't matter if you are the only person, we will still go out. There are only a couple of other resorts that do this also like Buceo. I know other resorts are being built or refurbished that will also start to charge like the rest of the world, so Anilao will slowly become more acceptable all over for foreign guests, who are used to just paying a price per dive. The diving is incredible here, and not just the macro as Anilao is famous for.

Look us up if you're interested, hope you don't mind the plug.

Jon
www.blueribbondivers.com

Anilao generally prices so differently due to the way how it started, as a weekend dive hub for the local Manila crowd, and not for foreign guests. So many resorts don't even have any dive staff on salary, it's just dial a boat, dial a spotter (don't get confused with dm, most 'guides' in Anilao are AOW or similar). The boatmen are a mafia that keeps raising their prices, along with the DM association that also charge higher than a lot of other places in the world. This is why small resorts that don't have their own staff charge so much for diving. They don't actually make any money on the diving, they just organize it, and maybe rent out a tank or two. The money mainly goes to the Boat and the DMs. It's fine if you are coming as a group, but for single travelers it gets pricey.

I have a small resort in Anilao, called Blue Ribbon, we actually have our own boats and Divemasters I have trained up from scratch. We charge per dive (1,700), and it doesn't matter if you are the only person, we will still go out. There are only a couple of other resorts that do this also like Buceo. I know other resorts are being built or refurbished that will also start to charge like the rest of the world, so Anilao will slowly become more acceptable all over for foreign guests, who are used to just paying a price per dive. The diving is incredible here, and not just the macro as Anilao is famous for.

Jon
www.blueribbondivers.com

Hi Jon

I did actually contact you guys & got a response from Heidi.

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess for pioneers of Anilao, this pricing mechanism may be familiar for them but for people like me, this who are used to basic surcharges like nitrox or private guide, this pricing scheme is unacceptable.

I need to know how much I'll pay at the end of 40 dives.
Cost per person of a group of 4 is a quarter of the cost of bearing the cost of 4.

Yes banka prices depend on how far you go but P3500 to 5000 from anywhere to anywhere in Anilao is overcharging.
Don't understand why you want to be with 6 people on a boat when you can be alone or with a buddy for the same price...
Remind me of people in Puerto Galera stuck in full boat paying a lot of money when you can have the whole boat and the DM just for yourself at the dive shop next door.
Don't be afraid of going local :)
3500P split 6 ways would make it about 583P for each diver.

Yikes, after this whole thread, as a PH resident, I know where I wont be staying....ever! Holy cow!

Of course, I already have my favorite places, and rotate through them based on my goals for that particular weekend. Blue Ribbon one of the top of my short-list, as are a few others, including Dive&Trek. My list is based on Location then Pricing, followed by accommodations...

3500P split 6 ways would make it about 583P for each diver.
Yes that is the price per person for the boat if you are 6 but who wants to be in such a big group? :)

So many resorts don't even have any dive staff on salary, it's just dial a boat, dial a spotter (don't get confused with dm, most 'guides' in Anilao are AOW or similar). The boatmen are a mafia that keeps raising their prices, along with the DM association that also charge higher than a lot of other places in the world. This is why small resorts that don't have their own staff charge so much for diving. They don't actually make any money on the diving, they just organize it, and maybe rent out a tank or two. The money mainly goes to the Boat and the DMs. It's fine if you are coming as a group, but for single travelers it gets pricey.

I have a small resort in Anilao, called Blue Ribbon, we actually have our own boats and Divemasters I have trained up from scratch. We charge per dive (1,700), and it doesn't matter if you are the only person, we will still go out.
Jon
www.blueribbondivers.com

The risk that a traveler takes with a resort that doesn't give the boatmen regular business is that when the resort dials up a boat they may all be booked and unavailable and the dive op at the resort says the divers can't dive that day.

Jon,
I looked up Blue Ribbon when I was there in January but think you were booked the days we were going. You did respond quickly later when the possibility arose of someone in our group looking to get certified while we were there and you were willing to accommodate. She decided not to for several reasons unrelated to Blue Ribbon but your communication was quick. I will consider Blue Ribbon for future trips.

Jon
www.blueribbondivers.com
Hi Jon
I hope your moving from PG is fine.
I understand you want to change the "culture" of Anilao but this system is not that bad as small resorts can subcontract an activity which, for them, mainly happens during the week-ends.
Anilao is also the place in the Philippines where you have quite a number of Filipino coming for diving; you don't have that in other places where divers are mainly foreigners. Their being there is of course historical, geographical (close to MNL and its population of "upper middle class" people) but also financial as the pricing structure make diving " more affordable" for them as they often come as a group of friends
Personally, I used to find this system quite ineficient, troublesome and not that transparent but after a while, knowing some locals, talking around, I found it perfect for the type of diving I am doing giving me freedom of time and of space for, in fact, quite a low price.
Or course, for travelers coming to Anilao for one or two times, the "normal" sytem of paying by dive is easier and make more sense.
I think it would be a mistake to try to generalise the "normal pricing" over all the resorts in Anilao.
Anyway, big changes are on the horizon with the end of the wooden banka and the changes of the coast-guard regulations making everybody unhappy :(
Lets see how "little Italy" is going to react!

Hi Jon
I hope your moving from PG is fine.
I understand you want to change the "culture" of Anilao but this system is not that bad as small resorts can subcontract an activity which, for them, mainly happens during the week-ends.
Anilao is also the place in the Philippines where you have quite a number of Filipino coming for diving; you don't have that in other places where divers are mainly foreigners. Their being there is of course historical, geographical (close to MNL and its population of "upper middle class" people) but also financial as the pricing structure make diving " more affordable" for them as they often come as a group of friends
Personally, I used to find this system quite ineficient, troublesome and not that transparent but after a while, knowing some locals, talking around, I found it perfect for the type of diving I am doing giving me freedom of time and of space for, in fact, quite a low price.
Or course, for travelers coming to Anilao for one or two times, the "normal" sytem of paying by dive is easier and make more sense.
I think it would be a mistake to try to generalise the "normal pricing" over all the resorts in Anilao.
Anyway, big changes are on the horizon with the end of the wooden banka and the changes of the coast-guard regulations making everybody unhappy :(
Lets see how "little Italy" is going to react!

What you say is fair and makes sense but Anilao hosts both Manilalites ( I coined this :wink:) and tourists equally I would presume - given how Anilao is toted as #2 or #3 globally for muck. Especially since its so accessible for a tourist as it takes 2 hours from the capital airport.

But there has to be a way to cater to both the local & the tourist.

Thrice, since learning about this pricing structure, I've considered just not going to Anilao.
Really. It put me off badly. I have half the mind to fly to Singapore then take a 4 hour flight to Lembeh and feel better than putting up with Anilao.
Resorts like Buceo & Blue Ribbon are the only redeeming factor at this point.

Maybe if I traveled for diving twice or thrice a year or more - I'd "stomach" an Anilao pricing scheme.
But when I travel once a year, if that, no, no thanks. I want peace of mind.

This is my experience. Others obviously feel differently.
So, horses for courses.

Maybe you should forgot the eccentricity of the pricing system and give Anilao a chance by going with Blue Ribbon :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom