Salt Springs Run Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPSEAWOLF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We rented a yak and headed out of the Marina into the run... we encountered a slight shower which was awesome to just float and watch. There was a solace to be compared to no other to be surrounded by millions of raindrop impacts, and the soothing sound of the water.
After a few minutes it blew over us and we headed to the mouth of the spring area. There is a massive pool created just outside the park which fades from 2-3 feet deep to a fairly constant 6 feet in the run. After we dropped the anchor and geared up, we entered into five foot deep water and the number of fish was amazing! I snapped off a whole roll of film, and was wishing I'd brought more.
I also took pix of a 4 foot long gator at the marina, as well as a large bass that swam twenty feet straight at me to stare right into the camera lens from a foot away! That was amazing to watch happen!
We have found a new favorite place to dive and look forward to doing the shell mounds looking for fossils.
The weather was immaculate as the clear water and the direct overhead sunlight was just awesome! If we'd had that weather during the SoFlo trip, the bugs would have been running in droves!
I hope to have pix up by this weekend. I wish this weather on every dive, and diver! We had an awesome day in the water and were reluctant to leave. Did I mention we killed almost two hours on the bay and I barely used 1000 psi on an AL80? Hmmm
the photography opportunities were incredible and I look forward to planning a trip to Crystal River for a Manatee dive! Anyone up for it in December when they flood in for warmer water? Should be awesome!
:D

Wolf-
Keep me informed. I go to Crystal a lot and would probably hook up for a dive there. Have you dived 3 Sisters spring?

No, the closest we have been so far is Plantation Inn Dive shop. Thn we found out how you ned a boat to get anywhere in the area. Working on that now. I am hoping to get a dive trip planned for sometime in mid-December when the Manatees come back into the Spings to stay warm. My schedule will be pretty hectic for this month but should open up for next month.

rent a pontoon boat at the Plantation Inn. It would make a great dive boat. I know where the cavern is, and 3 Sisters as well. I am told there is another cavern in Kings Bay, but don't know if it is true. I have a 25' Cruiser, but a pontoon is better to dive off of.

I dived at Crystal River 3 years ago Oct 10th and there were Mantees in the river then, I don't think you have to wait until December to do the dives.

I am going to post on the board when I start getting things prepped for the trip. That way if anyone wants to go with us, they can just chip in for the boat cost. It's 150 for a full day. That puts us in the 4-8 hour range which will be about right for what I have planned. I may go ahead and start a thread for a Crystal River dive trip for next month.

How are ya?
I have a hunting buddy who has a condo at Homosassa, and he says the 'Tees are in now. We're takin' the boat out Sunday to check it out.:D

one of the 'toons. I'd say 6 per boat max. They have 30 HP motors on them. It's mostly no wake zone, but that much dive gear and divers are heavy! There's a nice Ale House on the water we can lunch at if we so choose. I know the area, and maybe Wendy and HarleyDiver and Renee would want to come down. :confused:

I am caving this coming weekend, and the following weekend I'm seeingmy folks, then I'll be in Cozumel (thinking of all of you while cave diving) and then there is Thanksgiving, and then either the first or second weekend in December I'll be taking a single rope training course (rapelling and climbing), so then after all of that I'll be free. So anyway, don't plan stuff around me, just plan it and if I can make it I'll be there.

what weekend you are doing your rappelling class, let me know, and we'll see what happens. Have fun in Cozumel. It's been 15 years since I dove Cozumel!:D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom