Salt Isle. - Good Harbor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I hear there are creatures to see and eat on the seaward side.
Any tips for getting out there - I know its walkable when the tide is low.
Is diving permitted from public beaches these days? It seems like it would be a nice shore dive.

Thanks.

P

I haven't been threr yet but have been looking into it. From my understanding it is best to walk out at low tide. Yes you can still dive from pulic beaches. The ocean side is supposed to be a great dive.

Went out there a couple weeks ago. The big issue is parking. Now that it's past Memorial Day, I think you'd have to pay $20 to park at Good Harbor. If you park further up north, which is closer to the island entry point anyhow, you need a resident sticker and the motel is very vigilant about towing. If you're going to park in Good Harbor, drive one exit past on the right and ditch your stuff by the motel.

At low tide, you can actually walk right up to the island -- you can get in with a short surface swim even if you're not at slack tide.

I have been really disappointed with the two dives I did there. On the first one, it was really our fault -- we assumed the island was not that big around and unwisely decided to circumnavigate it in soupy fog. The second time around, I did not enjoy the strong surge next to the island, vis was pretty poor due to the stirred up silt, and I have found a lot more lobsters at other sites. Not sure why it has gotten a reputation for good lobstering.

localdivah,

I have a similar impression of the Salt Island, not that good of a lobster place, but interesting above water scenary. My buddy talked me out of circumnavigating it, is it really that long of a swim? I guess nothing special on the other side either. Only did one dive there, too much beach walking and surface swim for me. Maybe after I get my sea kayak I'll explore it a little more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom