Salt - impact on weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Archimedes principle is pretty straight forward. As long as as your volume stays the same (assuming you have not bloated from a long flight) it does not matter how much fluid you displace when going from one body of water to another. If all stays the same, what is important is specific gravity. If it increased by 3% you need to add 3% to your total body weight to maintain the same density.

Archimedes principle is pretty straight forward. As long as as your volume stays the same (assuming you have not bloated from a long flight) it does not matter how much fluid you displace when going from one body of water to another. If all stays the same, what is important is specific gravity. If it increased by 3% you need to add 3% to your total body weight to maintain the same density.
Bravo, a clear, concise explanation!

I'm really bad at math, but for me switching from any ocean to Red Sea diving (my gear and suit being the same) is somewhere between 2 and 4 kg. I attribute the range to different tanks.

All dive centers I've ever been in Egypt or Jordan were using aluminum tanks. If you were using a steel tank elsewhere you'd need even more then 4kg on the Red sea just to compensate for the aluminum tank being positive at the end of the dive.
If using aluminum tank in both situations (and all gear being identical) there are only two possible explanations:
1. The weights don't have 1 and 2kg in Egypt, Jordan and so on (already mentioned by someone else on the topic)
2. People already bloated from long flights get upset digestion by eating Egyptian food (more abdominal gases trapped in the intestines).

Most likely a combination of 1 and 2 can account for differences like 4+ kg on the weight belt.

I thought we were discussing here usual rental stuff so 11 or 12L ALU vs 12 L Steel or 15L Alu vs 15 L steel all in usual 200-230 BAR models. No need to start picking straws, the general idea is pretty clear I'd say.

Back
Top Bottom