Safety when moving and using tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What dangers, if any are involved with handling and transporting cylinders? What would it take for a cylinder to explode?

Thanks.

The valve is the most vulnerable part of a pressurized tank.... but it is actually pretty sturdy. I've seen tanks dropped, banged, even tossed... with no problems. Having said that, I'm very gentle with my tanks, just because the thought of 3,000 psi suddenly "let loose" is enough to make me careful :D

I think a big concern when transporting cylinders in your car is to think about their potential of becoming a "projectile" in an accident. I drive a pickup, and will securely lash the tanks in an upright position against the back of the cab, so that in a front or rear collision they hopefully will stay put. A roll-over would be a different matter...

For a cylinder to explode it would need to be punctured, rupture due to overpressure (for example: in a fire if the blowout plug did not work; accidently overfilled; defect; etc. )... if the valve were knocked off it would become a missile rather than a "bomb"....

Google is your friend! Search for 'transportation of compressed gas' There are a number of Federal Regulations which you MIGHT get for free but most of the more important documents are for sale.

The Compressed Gas Association has a position statement PS-7 on transporting cylinders in passenger vehicles: Publication Detail I'm not about to buy it.

Personally, I lay the cylinders down so they can't fall. It is certainly possible to break a valve and the cylinder will mimic a rocket ship. I remember when some LARGE cylinders broke loose at a manufacturing plant in San Diego and shot through the cars in the parking lot and through some buildings I also remember when an offsite facility had some oxygen tanks explode but that was due to improper materials in the regulators.

I pad the cylinders or otherwise prevent them from rolling. A banging tank is an unhappy tank.

Exploding a cylinder is a lot harder depending on the condition of the tank. I would expect for a tank in good condition, there isn't anything you could do during transportation that would destroy the structural integrity of the tank.

I have NEVER read of a scuba cylinder exploding during transport. Maybe somebody else has a story.

Richard

Mythbusters did a pretty good job on scuba tanks a while back. Basically, unless you can figure out some way (and they had a hard time) of busting off the valve, the tanks are pretty much industructable. Even then, it shot across the room like a missile and did not "explode". It did do some damage when it hit a wall but if it were not given a chance to accelerate I doubt it would do much damage at all. All in all, worry about getting to the dive site, it's a lot more likely you will be hurt on the trip than any place else.

What would it take for a cylinder to explode?
Apparently, you missed the "I'd love to see a tank explode" thread.

I think the mods pulled it because it turned into such a: :trainwreck:

Apparently, you missed the "I'd love to see a tank explode" thread.

I think the mods pulled it because it turned into such a: :trainwreck:

I saw someone post abuot that thread. I could never find it. I kinda wondered where it went. I was going to post in it as I too would like to see a tank explode:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom