Safety stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIMI Diver:
I am curious, would doing your 15' safety stop breathing pure O2 decrease you chance getting hit with DCI.

I'm afraid I disagree with the others. If one reads your question literally then the answer is obviously "yes" but the question *behind* the question is "should I do this". And to that question i would say "no".

O2 is dangerous under water. So dangerous, in fact, that trying to use O2 to improve safety on a recreational dive is a game of diminishing returns whereby your chances of creating problems are much much higher than your chances of avoiding them.

R..

Thanks for the information. The reason I asked the question is that I just signed up for advanced Nitrox and stage deco procedures. I have only had a chance to briefly scan the books and I was just curious if it is worth the effort to take O2 on a dive planned within rec limits.

Dang, DA Aquamaster - I hadn't thought about winning the Cold War amongst other politics leaving the Saturn program in the dust.

Diver0001:
I'm afraid I disagree with the others. If one reads your question literally then the answer is obviously "yes" but the question *behind* the question is "should I do this". And to that question i would say "no".

O2 is dangerous under water. So dangerous, in fact, that trying to use O2 to improve safety on a recreational dive is a game of diminishing returns whereby your chances of creating problems are much much higher than your chances of avoiding them.

R..

Actually, I am with you. I think the best answer is "no hurt" rather than "Yes."

For example, I got the surgery and the doctor ordered me to take the antibiotic 500mg every six hours for four days. If I take more anti-biotic more than doctor's recommendation, does it boost up my healing process? May or maybe not. I had the side effect of overdose of antibiotic a long time ago. The result was "bacteria growth" on the surgical area. In the same context, if you follow the rec. profile correctly, I don't think there is a benefit on using pure oxygen for the safety stop.
It will “not hurt.”

Another concern is "Are you grabbing the anchor line for the safety stop?" If you can manage the neutral buoyancy at 20fsw perfectly with using pure oxygen, you can head to the Trimix class directly. Yes, the neutral buoyancy is a critical matter for using pure oxygen. Maybe, it is another complexity Dr. Deco mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom