Safety Stop bar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a bar will make the hang rough. I say this after more than 1000 dives from a boat with a hang line system that really works, even in rough water.

The bar will move vertically with the boat, a line between the two down lines will "float" and be a much softer ride. Put the weights at the bottom of the down lines, 20' to 30' or so, and the hang line at 15'...

So let me see if I understand this.

I'm probably beter off with a line instead of a bar. This line is called a tag line or granny line. It is tied off to the anchor line or a weighted down line at the bow and to a weighted down line at the stern.

I also need a brightly colored floating current assist line trailing the stern with a float at the end. 25 feet long??

I also have two gear assist lines with clips hanging from cleats on corners of the stern so we can remove BCs and attach them before climbing aboard. (I have a small platform / step that won't handle all the weight) The gear can then be hauled aboard.

Jeff

Originally posted by NetPro
So let me see if I understand this.

I'm probably better off with a line instead of a bar.
Probably better off just using your anchor line for a safety stop.
This line is called a tag line or granny line. It is tied off to the anchor line or a weighted down line at the bow and to a weighted down line at the stern.
No need for a weighted down line at the bow, just clip the forward end of the granny line to the anchor line (I use a suicide clip), and tie the trailing end to your platform or stern cleat (see attached picture). If you put a weight near (on) the suicide clip and a weight a few feet from the trailing end, you can pull yourself under the boat. If you don't weight the line, you just pull yourself along side the boat.
I also need a brightly colored floating current assist line trailing the stern with a float at the end. 25 feet long??
Color is a matter of preference. My current assist line is 65 feet long because that is what was left after I cut 35 feet for my granny line from a 100 foot line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom