Safety Stop bar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetPro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am setting up my boat and would like to put a safety stop bar at 15ft. I was planning on using a piece of 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC attached with 3/8 inch line at both ends. My questions for you experienced boaters are:

1. Should I paint the bar with a bright yellow or orange or will the white finish be OK?

2. Will I need to weight the bar? If so, what is the best way?

3. Since I can only dive a max of 4 in my boat, is it worth the effort for a bar or should I just drop a line? (or just get better at hovering)

Jeff

I think a line works just fine. If your hovering techniques are good, you don't even need that, but some of your fellow divers may.

I just use the anchor line when I need to.

1. White is OK

2. Yes. Tie on some lead.

3. It all depends on what conditions in which you find yourself. If there's no current, hovering is best, especially if your skills are up to par. If there's a strong current, either the bar, a weighted line or the anchor line are ok. When using either a weighted line or the anchor line it can get crowded (even with 4 divers). If there's current and seas, you need the bar or a jon line. Whith a jon line, you're hovering and don't need to worry about current.

I think a bar is in order for us newbies since there will almost always be at least 3 of us and current can be a factor in Lake Ontario, the St. Lawrence and even some of the large finger lakes in NY.

It will make a good visual reference while we are gaining experience and perfecting technique.

Isn't hovering for helicopters?:rolleyes:

Thanks
Jeff

NetPro,
Originally posted by NetPro
I think a bar is in order for us newbies . . . It will make a good visual reference while we are gaining experience and perfecting technique.

After you deploy, retrieve, rinse, and stow your bar, line, and weights a few times, the simplicity of a 15 ft stop on the anchor line might start to look pretty attractive.

You may have thought of this already, but if you will be diving in current, a "granny line" from stern to anchor line, and a "current assist line (tag line)" trailing from the stern may come in handy. My "anchor ball" doubles as a float for the current assist line.

Tag line floats and is hpoefully bright to aid the tired diver seeing it.We also use an orange float ball 24".Also rigged as Stone desribed.In addition several weights are clipped off where the granny line slides down the anchor line and where it hangs off the stern.We often dive 2 boats with up to 3-4 divers decoing at one time on the granny.Bar is not a good idea in current unless it is stayed to the anchor line as well.You will blow in an arc back and up unless you dump lotsa air.

I put a float on the end of my current line behind the boat, but for the tag line running from the stern to the anchor/mooring line I prefer to weight it. Otherwise divers bump their heads on the bottom of the boat. Having reread Stone's post, I see I misunderstood which line he floats.

Originally posted by Walter
. . . for the tag line running from the stern to the anchor/mooring line I prefer to weight it. Otherwise divers bump their heads on the bottom of the boat.

I plan to weight the granny line as well; not so much for bumped heads (although that will be one outcome), but to keep from getting smeared with the blue ablative paint from the bottom of my hull (I can't wait for that stuff to ablate completely away).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom