Safety Sausage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I might be a bit late for this thread.
Check this one out it covers the middle ground.
www.surfacemarker.com
4.75 ft tall, yellow and red and very easy to use with the new Webbing deployment system and can be deployed from the 5 m safety stop.
Whatever you buy don't go for the cheap vinyl ones which will let you down when you really need them.

surfacemarker:
Although I might be a bit late for this thread.
Check this one out it covers the middle ground.
www.surfacemarker.com
4.75 ft tall, yellow and red and very easy to use with the new Webbing deployment system and can be deployed from the 5 m safety stop.
Whatever you buy don't go for the cheap vinyl ones which will let you down when you really need them.
The webbing deployment system seems pretty slick, although its bulky and one more thing to bring down. A spool is more versatile, also. Might be a situation of substituting gear for proper training. And finally, I prefer a full size (6' tall) SMB.

All that said, I would consider picking up one of those (or perhaps the WDS to use with my existing, larger, SMB), if they had a stainless bolt snap instead of brass.

Rev. Blade...

Never had a sausage or SMB but will be getting one next year. So I'm having trouble visualizing your description of the handle.

Can you give another description...again? Describe how it would be used without the handle...crumpling the bottom...holding the open end underwater...all Greek to someone who hasn't seen and/or used one before. (No offence to any Greeks out there, they are some of my favorite people!).

So you manufactured a handle out of duct tape...okay, but for what purpose? When the boat captain said it worked really well, how would he know since you would have used it in the water?

You can tell by my questions that I am clueless! Maybe you can include a pic or two?

It's hard to tell too much about the DAN SMB from their pictures. How large is it when folded up? Does it roll into a pouch, or how is it bundled?

It is wider than most safety sausages, therefore it is not as compact in rolled form. It comes with no pouch, but it should fit in your BC pockets or most accessory pockets.

Thanks - any guesses on rough size when it is rolled?

I like the look of the SMB from Deep Sea Supply a lot. Fatter at bottom so more likely to float upright on it's own. I might ask him if he'd consider to make a slightly bigger one though, the 5 lb's of lift it provides is not very much. I have been toying with the idea of using a sausage with OPV as a backup lift-device in a pinch.

Back
Top Bottom