Safety Sausage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

split0101:
I have the DAN one and it's pretty good. You can use your LPI to inflate it, as well as a mesh pocket at the bottom where you can add some weight so it sit's vertically in the water when you deploy it. It comes with a storm whistle, mirror, and glow stick. Also includes a over inflate valve.

I've been looking at the one by DAN myself. I like that it has all the other accessories with it.

Can anyone else comment on the one that DAN puts out?

Found here:

http://diversalertnetwork.org/catalog/products/641-1000.html

Frankly, you should have one that you can deploy underwater during your safety stop. I have two, a small one the could be described as a sauage that I use in calm seas, with no over pressure valve but I still deploy it during a safety stop. Just don't fill it full when you blow it up.

The other one is a large one I use in heavy seas that is orange and yellow and has an over pressure or dump valve and can be orally inflated or inflated with your reg. I solo a lot so I have my name on them so the boat knows it's me when there are other dive boats in the area.

IMG_4050.jpg

Nice sausage Dennis:wink:
Diver Dennis:
The other one is a large one I use in heavy seas that is orange and yellow and has an over pressure or dump valve and can be orally inflated or inflated with your reg. I solo a lot so I have my name on them so the boat knows it's me when there are other dive boats in the area.

IMG_4050.jpg

HA-HA you smart:D
Diver Dennis:
Thanks Jason. Maybe you saw it in the Philippines last month? :D

The DAN model does not inflate underwater with a second stage. One of the Halcyon models does, but it is less than three feet long. I know they are out there...

I've only deployed my tube uder water. I did add air at the surface when teased by some divers that I hadn't filled my sausage. I hadn't seen a need to fill mine. Even half full, it's 5' tall. The "Aqua" brand tube is cheaply made, and it shows... but it's simple and it works for me.

Instructions

* Insert regulator 2nd stage into open end of tube

* Hold tube around regulator hose and gently depress purge button until tube is fully inflate. Do not overinflate

* Hold end of tube under water, and tube will stand erect with top 2 metres above the water.

* If SCUBA not available, blow into open end to inflate tube.

The real safety feature of these is to inflate them underwater and acend with them above you to keep the mororns in jetskis and bass boats from wacking you as you ascend. Mine is the nylon cloth model with a mouth inflate, but I can manage to inflate it underwater by mouth (takes some practice and not necessarily recommended). I only inflate about half filled when 15 feet from the surface, then ascend holding the bottom and slowly rise up, so that if a boat is coming at you, they hopefully see the orange thing coming up while your arm is still 6 feet under. This puts your head (a critical piece of equipment if there ever was one) about 8 feet under as the tube emerges. Take note though, the expanding air in this thing is going to make you slightly more bouyant, and filling it by mouth could be troublesome to a few folks. If you use a signal tube in this way, you want to get some practice with it and be sure you can manage the increased bouyancy as you ascend. In addition to a safety sausage, a high piercing whistle is recommended and takes up no room at all. A whistle can be heard through fog and rain , wheareas a sausage can only be seen in good weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom