Safety Sausage on a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

while diving in the Solomon Islands in 96 it came in extremely handy. when we all surfaced after a drift dive in 4 groups of 3 divers the boat was no where to be seen as the surface swell had increased the skipper took off to calmer waters and waited. The 4 of us each had a sausage and with 1- 2 mt swell they made us visable.
i never dive without one in my bcd now.
Ter

They are a neat toy, that does work. But so does a regular safety sausage.
Are you looking for how they work or where they attach info?

Hallmac

I have never seen one of these until I watched the movie, and it does look like it could come in handy, especially diving in my area, where a lot of the good dives are very close to a major shipping channel through the bay.

One disadvantage with that one is that you can't deploy it from your safety stop. But on the other hand, there is no cord to become entangled in upon surfacing (Most sausages don't come with any sort of reel, and its hard to keep the cord under control)

froop once bubbled...
One disadvantage with that one is that you can't deploy it from your safety stop. But on the other hand, there is no cord to become entangled in upon surfacing (Most sausages don't come with any sort of reel, and its hard to keep the cord under control)
Froop,
It sounds like you're referring to using a lift bag as a surface marker. I've heard of this being done, but how would you go about it - what kind of lift bag do you use.....brand name, color, etc.

Sorry if I'm off the mark here.

Dr. Jay once bubbled...

It sounds like you're referring to using a lift bag as a surface marker. I've heard of this being done, but how would you go about it - what kind of lift bag do you use.....brand name, color, etc.

I'm pretty sure its a safety sausage, not a lift bag. It's called a SeeMann Sub. It's a fluoro orange tube, about 5 feet long, and came with about 30ft of cord, which I've cut down to 15.

froop once bubbled...

I'm pretty sure its a safety sausage, not a lift bag. It's called a SeeMann Sub. It's a fluoro orange tube, about 5 feet long, and came with about 30ft of cord, which I've cut down to 15.
WOOPS!

D'oh! :doh:

Okay, I'm done making a fool of myself :bonk:

Well, I am asking if anyone has tried this device. Is it handy to use in the surface? Will there be any chance of malfunction underwater? Will it occupy the rear dump valve that make the valve not usable underwater?

I'd skip this item and get a regular sausage.

Thoughts why:
Most times when I'm on the surface, I'm lying on my back... this thing will be under water and only able to signal passing submarines :)

It's not too hard to inflate a sausage and hold it even when your hands are full... it's certainly not any harder than having to reach around behind you and fumble with this gizmo.

What if you are OOA... now what?

Simplier is better, in my opinion.

Stick to a regular sausage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom