Safety, Safety, Safety!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it becomes too easy when you become very comfortable with the dive site and your dive buddies to become real complacent. For me personally, this has started over the last month or so diving and I know what the cause is. My past 8 dives have all been at Vets park. The visibility has been great! I think all of those dives have been largely with some mix of Jamie, Bryan, and Ren, with a few odd BC's thrown in for good measure. (I know, I know, odd BC's is kinda redundant isn't it, he he ) My level of comfort with these divers and the visibility has led me to start down the road to complacency. There's kinda a feeling of safety because I can see everyone I'm diving with from far away and trust them not to do anything stupid. And that's what kinda was the slap in the face to me during my last dive on Saturday. I kinda realized just HOW relaxed I've gotten about keeping close to my buddy of choice for that particular dive and whether or not that's a good thing. My feeling was that its not.

I can tell you for sure that on the typical low-visibility dives I am accustomed to around here I don't ever move much off my buddies side, heck half the time it seems Erika and I are practically arm-in-arm the vis is so bad on half the dives we do, hehe. But what I started thinking about and basically the point of this long rant is, being there for each other is something for every dive, in every condition.

Sorry for the long rants, but it helps me organize my feelings about things to type it out and also to try and prompt a discussion that maybe will help someone else :)

I agree with the rescue diver cert. I have been trying to figure out the best way to get that done. I absolutely won't even set foot into the shop that certified me and that's the only place I have any experience with. The absolute horrible training there has made me very leery about spending good money on classes with an instructor I don't either know personally or by reputation from someone I trust implicitly.

Edit:
Yeah Mario, never heard the SEABAG, thanks for sharing! I saved that to my folder of assorted dive information :)

That was all great information. We should all be practicing emergency procedures & skills so they don't get rusty. I think every diver should go through the rescue course it makes you a better diver & also better at self rescue.

John

We were taught SEABAG in the LA County Program, which is NAUI based instruction.

I am going to let "The Cat Out Of The (Sea)Bag"
I'm doing a Thread in our forum to make an announcement. Please read it.

Rick

I thought that this was what we call our significant other when he/she gets old? :rofl3: J/K, seriously though I've never seen this and it's pretty awesome. Super thorough, who taught you this? Props to them and to you for bringing it up. BTW word got around that you kick ass underwater, :D if you ever want to dive let me know.

Billy

WoW, RaixenViper, Billy introduced me to the Beach Crabs and he is yet to dare to dive with me. Kuddos dude.

I thought that this was what we call our significant other when he/she gets old? :rofl3: J/K, seriously though I've never seen this and it's pretty awesome. Super thorough, who taught you this? Props to them and to you for bringing it up. BTW word got around that you kick ass underwater, :D if you ever want to dive let me know.

Billy

Will do let you know when I wanna dive with yah. Glad SEABAG benefited ya and that word got to ya how of a hell good diver I am.. hahah!

Edit:
Yeah Mario, never heard the SEABAG, thanks for sharing! I saved that to my folder of assorted dive information :)

Awesome to see that SEABAG helps ya and looking forward to dive with ya someday.

WoW, RaixenViper, Billy introduced me to the Beach Crabs and he is yet to dare to dive with me. Kuddos dude.

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom