Safest Dive Operators in Phillippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... It seems like one of the pieces of information that is available, sometimes, is the existence of compression chamber and location (sometimes).
There is a chamber in Batangas which is about 20-30 mins by car from Anilao or over an hr from Puerto Galera by boat and car. There should be another in Cebu City which is only relevant if you are diving around that area(Visayas).
This is a third world country and standard sometimes only exist on paper or imagination.
Seek a reputable operator.

There is a chamber in Batangas which is about 20-30 mins by car from Anilao or over an hr from Puerto Galera by boat and car. There should be another in Cebu City which is only relevant if you are diving around that area(Visayas).
This is a third world country and standard sometimes only exist on paper or imagination.
Seek a reputable operator.

That is exactly what I am trying to do. How do I tell the difference between a reputable versus a non-reputable operator?

I have been to many different dive resorts in the Philippines and I have generally found them to be all fine. They all want you to have a safe and happy experience. The higher end places like Atlantis that specifically cater to western tourists might have more budget for a few extra safety features so you might feel a bit safer with them. But I think as long as you avoid the ultra-budget places, you won't have an issue. If you are worried about getting bent, dive Nitrox and dive shallow and conservatively. If you are worried about getting swept out to sea, carry a large SMB and you may wish to consider buying a Nautilus lifeline.

That is exactly what I am trying to do. How do I tell the difference between a reputable versus a non-reputable operator?
I don't know.
The first time that I came to Philippines was in 1996. My buddy and I just picked a name from Lonely Planet Survival Kit and turned up at the door-step of the operator in Moalboal. And I did the same alone few months later in Puerto Galera. Since then I had repeated the same process again and again without any issue. BTW, there are places(eg. Camotes Island, San Fernando in La Union and Surigao) in this country which has ONLY one dive operator. So choice is NOT an option.
After all these yrs diving in this country, the quality of "some" operators in Alona Beach(Bohol) has really deteriorated!! To cut the story short, smell the gas first before signing up for a dive. Even better make sure the operator fill its own tank and NOT source from somewhere else.

Finally, do you trust a total stranger in a cyber world?

---------- Post added September 8th, 2015 at 01:41 PM ----------

The higher end places like Atlantis that specifically cater to western tourists might have more budget for a few extra safety features so you might feel a bit safer with them.
Are you sure about this?
I will take a look next time when I am in PG to see what kind of safety devices that Atlantis loaded into their speed boats.

1. Membership of the PCSSD (Philippines Commission on Sports Scuba Diving). This is (supposed to be) mandatory and is (supposed to) cover things like air quality, safety provision and operating standards. PCSSD is a sub-branch of the Dept. of Tourism.

2. Membership of an affiliated diving agency; i.e. PADI, SDI/TDI, RAID, SSI. Agency affiliation also brings (supposed) minimum quality and operating procedures.

Beyond that, look for the following (ask to see, if not apparent):

1. O2 on the boat (in working order).
2. Life jackets on the boat.
3. First Aid on the boat.
4. Emergency Assistance Plan on the boat.
5. Proper nitrox protocols in place (if selling nitrox); analysis and log that you fill/sign, properly labelled tanks etc

Also, does the center offer to rent you a dive computer (if you don't have one). Dive computer use is mandatory (via PCSSD) in the Philippines...

As Andy says the PCSSD require computers and SMBs but just to be clear it is a recommendation, just the same as PADI would say that or any decent instructor would recommend it. It does not have, and will not have I believe, any legal basis - it is simply a welcome reiteration of common sense.

1. Membership of the PCSSD (Philippines Commission on Sports Scuba Diving). This is (supposed to be) mandatory and is (supposed to) cover things like air quality, safety provision and operating standards. PCSSD is a sub-branch of the Dept. of Tourism.

2. Membership of an affiliated diving agency; i.e. PADI, SDI/TDI, RAID, SSI. Agency affiliation also brings (supposed) minimum quality and operating procedures.

Beyond that, look for the following (ask to see, if not apparent):

1. O2 on the boat (in working order).
2. Life jackets on the boat.
3. First Aid on the boat.
4. Emergency Assistance Plan on the boat.
5. Proper nitrox protocols in place (if selling nitrox); analysis and log that you fill/sign, properly labelled tanks etc

Also, does the center offer to rent you a dive computer (if you don't have one). Dive computer use is mandatory (via PCSSD) in the Philippines...

This is very helpful. Thank you.

I have dived with 4 different Ops in Philippines and would certainly go back to Crystal Blue in Anilao and Asia Divers at Sabang (Puerto Galera).

Atlantis in Sabang are also very good but the last time I traveled to dive PG their rates were twice that of Asia Divers.

...Atlantis in Sabang are also very good but the last time I traveled to dive PG their rates were twice that of Asia Divers.
I always wonder why?
The speed boat looks bare and hardly any room for safety equipment. And in low tide you have to walk a fair distance to board/get off the boat.

I don't know.

Are you sure about this?
I will take a look next time when I am in PG to see what kind of safety devices that Atlantis loaded into their speed boats.

Hey Centrals, I have actually never dived with Atlantis in PG, but I have dove with Atlantis in Dumaguete, and I thought they were without doubt one of the most professional and well-organized dive outfits that I have experienced in the Philippines. I can't remember exactly what safety equipment they had on the boat, but I certainly felt very comfortable and safe diving with them. They are of course pricey relative to other places in the Philippines. I also found Evolution in Malapascua to be very professional and well-organized, as well as Pura Vida (dive shop is actually Sea Explorers) in Dauin/Dumaguete. Action Divers in PG were also fine, as well as Crystal Blue and Dive Solana in Anilao. The only time I felt somewhat unsafe was diving with an el cheapo dive shop in Coron (name escapes me) whose rental gear was terrible (and convinced me to buy my own gear!), but that was a long time ago, and I don't think they are in operation anymore.

So I think to some degree you get what you pay for, so I would again reiterate to the OP that if you go for the medium to high end places, avoid the super-cheap places, and go with places that have good reviews here and elsewhere, I don't think you will have any problem finding a good safe dive operation in the Philippines.

Back
Top Bottom