Safe ways to do freediving training alone in pool and sea or lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In Italy it is forbidden (practically everywhere) to do freediving training in the pools other than during organized courses. Which makes sense, but leaves little time for practicing

What kind of excercises can be safely done to improve freediving skills without buddy in pools or lakes? By now I found

1) Swimming fast with tablet face down with long intervals between breaths
2) Swimming (without table) with long intervals between breaths
3) Lateral kick swimming with fins (if allowed) with head out of water (to improve fluttering)
4) Breathing and pranayama excercises
5) Meditation excercises

Perhaps some excercises could be done (more or less) out of the water to improve the technique, for example the exact sequence of movements in freediving turns, but I didn't try that yet

You can do static and dynamic apnea exercises on dryland as well.

There are good reasons why organized activity or supervision is required by pools for in water apnea work...it is dangerous. How dangerous it is open for debate but there is apparent risk to the participant that they cannot mitigate if afflicted. Since the drowning will happen below the surface and it will be difficult for the life-guard to know whether the person is doing an exercise or dying many facilities just ban apnea activities unless they are specifically organized and supervised....I see the same issue at aquatic facilities in Belgium, where I have worked as a competitive swimming coach for a few local teams and as an official in the Belgian national swimming federation.

There are clubs in my area that specifically train for apnea...the 2 dive clubs that I am a part of usually have a small group doing apnea work at each pool session, when we use the pool each week it is during a time that it is closed to the public and reserved and supervised specifically by the dive clubs, one club meets at a pool nearly every Wednesday evening and the other nearly every Thursday evening....see what is available in your area, it is not uncommon for dive clubs to have folks who do apnea work

-Z

There is no way to safely do in water breath holding alone. Anything that doesn’t involve prolonged breath holding would be fine.

I do #2 every Wednesday. One breath for a 25m lap which is what competitive swimmers do, I reckon. Repeat and repeat and repeat.

Apnea walks were my thing back then but not anymore since being in the water is more fun.

Rest in peace, I didn't know his story. It is disturbing how people who took extreme risks can die in such a stupid way. Like Michael Schumacher, he risked his life racing on cars since he was a kid and he died while skiing, he just fell down and he banged his head on the ground. Unbelievable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom