Safe Depth for a Lightning Strike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After being caught in a thunderstorm on a lake, I was wondering how deep I'd have to be to not be effected, and popped off an Email to NOAA.

Here's their answer:

------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: [Fwd: From Weather.gov]
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:16:35 -0400

When a cloud-to-ground flash strikes water, it spreads mainly over the
top of the water. It travels outward from the strike point on the order
of tens of meters. Its effects can also travel downward up to 10 meters.

If it was that big of a deal, all the fish would already be dead. LOL

But, I know several people who got caught underwater during a storm and all claim to have felt the lightning. Effects the reported ranged from headaches to bloody noses as I recall.

A few years ago, There were some folks in Ginnie springs (down in the cave( who said they got a jolt too.

I could swear that Mythbusters did something on this, but I can't find anything to back up my memory. What I seem to recall is that if your at least 10 feet down (could have been meters) you should be safe, but then again,.. I could be mixing it up with something else.

I have only heard of one person getting killed by a lightning strike and that was fairly recently. Apparently the lightning hit his tank. (he had surfaced 30 feet from the boat)
http://www.****.info/news/safety/s070723.html

eclipse785:
What I seem to recall is that if your at least 10 feet down (could have been meters) you should be safe, but then again,.. I could be mixing it up with something else.

I can say without question this is wrong... at least for fresh water. I got hit 3 times in 15-20ft of water last month.

Yea, me too! It gets your attention for sure.

If I remember correctly a diver was killed by lightning last week near Deerfield Beach. Supposedly he was hit on the surface when he came up. Anyone read about that?

PerroneFord:
I can say without question this is wrong... at least for fresh water. I got hit 3 times in 15-20ft of water last month.

Oooh! Please describe the event! Must hear more! :coffee:

I think the NOAA response is for fresh water. It should ground out in seawater and the charge should travel around a diver since we are less conductive than seawater

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom