SAD>>> how furs are made... :-((((((((((

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm.... I consider myself to be a pretty tolerable person - I've seen a lot of F'd up things in my travels. But ya, I couldn't watch the whole thing.

If only these people learnt anything from those Canadians and their seal clubbing...(See Ralph Goodale's seal coat for details)

chip104:
hmmm.... I consider myself to be a pretty tolerable person - I've seen a lot of F'd up things in my travels. But ya, I couldn't watch the whole thing.

If only these people learnt anything from those Canadians and their seal clubbing...(See Ralph Goodale's seal coat for details)

Yes, the seal hunt is definitely a shameful activity that takes place here. I don't condone any of it and believe that the seal hunters here are no better than those fur farmers in that video. All of it should be condemned!

I watched the video and at first was reminded if eating chickens or pigs at the farm. We didn`t have any fancy method of getting our food, after all we were very poor. I remembered how it felt to sluaghter the pigs or cut the head off the chickens, I was not happy, proud, or sad, it just had to be done and I went about doing it. I took no pleasure in it but I thanked the lord for providing me and my family with a dinner and I never considered my actions as being crule. Man is custodean of the earth and I felt I was a good custodean by not wasting anything (cept feathers I hate feathers) and not subject the growing food to chemicals or hormones like you find in most commercial foods from veges to meats available in all grocers (and I am not trying to start a flame war but honestly they sell alot of food billed as "natural" and i know for a fact from people that work in those plants/factories that the food is some seriously over growth hormone injected tastless junk!).

If I had spent my entire life eating things aquired from plastic bags in the store (could be meat or vege) then perhaps I would be outraged. If I had not been involved in toiling the soil, feeding the herd, planting and watering and weeding, assisting in births, deaths, and the cutting of the meats, then perhaps I would be beyond words of hatred by what I saw in that film.

I did live that life for a time and I am still a bit disturbed by that film. It shows no respect for the animal that is providing a meal for someone. Whether it is directly with the meat or sale of the hide those animals were providing sustenance for someone and that someone obviously has a different value of life in general.

when i grew up in Cuba, we had chickens and pigs (very seldom) that we had
to slaughter to eat.

we tried to do it quickly. it was as easy as cutting the head off the chickens.
killing pigs is a lot harder.

anyway... that video disturbs me even though i've seen slaughtering of animals
close up from an early age.

the guy could have just stunned them with a blow to the floor and then cut off
their heads. that would have minimized suffering.

what bothers me is HOW he doesn't care about the suffering he is inflicting on the animals.

They dont cut the off there heads because people with furs have the heads on them. my mom has furs and the foxes or mink head is still on.
I have no problem if there going to be used as food. but since i have no idea what there doing with the meat. if there throwing them away than its wrong

Captain CaveMan:
They dont cut the off there heads because people with furs have the heads on them.

all the more reason not to wear fur, i guess

There will always be disturbing examples of man's inhumanity to man and man's inhumanity to the lesser beings. It is the nature of man. We have the wherewithall to make changes. But man, being the apex of the survival chain, dictates those actions that are taken upon the lesser beings.

Cultures and civilizations come and go. Those things that are accepted in one culture can be rapidly changed to those things that aren't accepted.

At the risk of being deleted, I bring to the front the acceptance of homosexuality and lesbianism in the open media.

In 1959 pregnant women were never shown on television, but now we have active same-sex partnerships being espoused as normal and accepted conventions of living within our society.

I dare say this discussion will continue. But keep in mind, not all are of like mind.

the K

sdstahl:
Do you wear leather?

yes, and eat meat too.

but i wouldn't want to support an industry that encourages cruelty to
animals because the humanitarian way to kill the animal is de facto ruled out

for example, if i knew that cows were being skinned alive to make leather,
i would stop wearing leather

as it is, i feel fairly confident that the cows are slaughtered humanely,
their meat is used for consumption, and the leather would go to waste if not
used.

i think you need to stop and think about the argument you are responding to
before knee-jerking with the usual responses

my argument is: i don't have a problem with using animals for people's benefit.
i just don't want to encourage certain business practices by supporting that
industry (and the underlying practices) with my money. it's simple consumer choice.

and ain't that what capitalism is about?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom