SAC calculation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoot, just grab a couple cans of Copenhagen and your smoking problem is solved. If AG or JJ gives you any crap about that just spit tobacco juice at them...or turn their air off.

thethumper once puffed...
The messed up thing about it is that who ever I've dove w/in the past 10-12 years, I've always outbreathed.
This is quite common. Current thinking is that because you lock up so much blood with CO from the smoke you inhale that your body learns how to deal with less O2 than a non-smoker.

Unlike a fit person's lesser lower SAC, this is not a sign of fitness, it's quite the opposite. It's an indication of the body's struggle to deal with an unhealthy situation.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

This is quite common. Current thinking is that because you lock up so much blood with CO from the smoke you inhale that your body learns how to deal with less O2 than a non-smoker.

Unlike a fit person's lesser lower SAC, this is not a sign of fitness, it's quite the opposite. It's an indication of the body's struggle to deal with an unhealthy situation.

Roak

Whatcha sayin' Roak¿ If I stop smokin' I'll become an air hog?

thethumper once bubbled...
in AOW. I went through PADI AOW & I wasn't tought SAC. Had I been I wouldn't be asking this question now.

UP.... GUE won't have anything to do w/me.... I'm shunned 'cause I smoke. The messed up thing about it is that who ever I've dove w/in the past 10-12 years, I've always outbreathed. My buddy is an air hog. I like alot of the DIR/GUE ways, but because I smoke, I can't participate in all the Reindeer games. As far as the site thingy, I'm glad you said something, I'll work on that today while I'm @ work.

So just adopt the GUE methodology and say you are a GUE diver... they have no patent on that technique. SO what if they don't issue you a c-card it's not like you can't go diving on your own with just a PADI cert...

Let the flames begin!

zboss once bubbled...

So just adopt the GUE methodology and say you are a GUE diver... they have no patent on that technique. SO what if they don't issue you a c-card it's not like you can't go diving on your own with just a PADI cert...

Let the flames begin!

After hearing what I've heard from other cavers & tech divers in Jax that are not GUE but do practice DIR skills & set ups, I'm not sure I would want to be let anyone know I was a GUE diver. They seem to get pretty well slammed by alot of the Hard Core techies. But I've not been to a class, nor do I know any of them personaly. But they sure get alot of flack. I AM NOT A SHEEP and I belive there is room for deviation. But this is about SAC, not DIR/GUE. When I get the resolve to quit smoking I will. And it's lookin' like it's around the corner.

thethumper once bubbled...

After hearing what I've heard from other cavers & tech divers in Jax that are not GUE but do practice DIR skills & set ups, I'm not sure I would want to be let anyone know I was a GUE diver. They seem to get pretty well slammed by alot of the Hard Core techies. But I've not been to a class, nor do I know any of them personaly. But they sure get alot of flack. I AM NOT A SHEEP and I belive there is room for deviation. But this is about SAC, not DIR/GUE. When I get the resolve to quit smoking I will. And it's lookin' like it's around the corner.

Good for you man! On one hand I am happy that there are additional training opportunites available from a variety of diving organizations but on the other hand if GUE is all about a diving philosophy... well SCUBA is a young sport and the equipment, knowledge, and techniques are still evolving. I would think that as diving medicine gets better, training will become more refined and focused in on the actual issues both physically, sociologically, and physcologically.

One could also draw a parallel between amature and professional athletics... there are not very many olympians that smoke or are not physically/emotionally healthy but then again most also operate in perfect condictions using incredible equipment - so who is the better athlete: the one that can perform at capacity in less than perfect conditions or the one that can only compete in perfect conditions.

Sorry to get off the subject of SAC... maybe I am just defending your position about smoking; my sister and brother both smoke... he goes easy on gas, but she tears through a tank. In either case I am not entirely sure it is just not that air consumption is tied to physical fitness and smoking is associated with poor physical conditioning.

They seem to get pretty well slammed by alot of the Hard Core techies.
When you are on top you always have to take the flak from the others scrambling up the hill and sniping at your heels.

Smoking is a controversial topic to be sure. On the one hand, people have the right to do whatever they want. On the other hand, in a sport where healthy lung function is so important why would you do anything to jeopardize it?

O-ring once bubbled...

When you are on top you always have to take the flak from the others scrambling up the hill and sniping at your heels.

Smoking is a controversial topic to be sure. On the one hand, people have the right to do whatever they want. On the other hand, in a sport where healthy lung function is so important why would you do anything to jeopardize it?

Because I started smoking when I was 12. That was 20 years ago. If I knew then what I know now, would I have started???
No, but that's the same answer any smoker will give you. If I could stop smoking RIGHT THIS SECOND I would. It's worse that coc***... Uh....we won't go into that. That was when I was more stupider. Everone has a vice of some form. I smoke. I don't drink, I don't do drugs.... I just wanna dive the best I can dive.

I was thinking you could use the Copenhagen to not smoke for the duration of the class and get by :D

I dive with some people who smoke and I have family members who smoke....I agree with you, it is tough. We won't solve that debate today, so let's stop while we can.

Everone has a vice of some form.
Agreed...mine is diving! Oh, and mexican food...

Back
Top Bottom