SAC calculation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a dangerous combination!
...more so with a drysuit since, uhhh, breaking wind from the mexican food can cause runaway ascents due to inflation. Gotta keep the dump open and away from any aquatic life that you don't want to kill.. Not to mention the stale smell when you finally surface and unzip that sucker...

thethumper once puffed...
Whatcha sayin' Roak¿ If I stop smokin' I'll become an air hog?
No, I'm saying that your implication that because you have a better SAC than other divers and are better/more relaxed/more experienced or whatever than them and therefore GUE should entertain you is wrong. Your low SAC is due to your body being all hosed up.

GUE doesn't want students whose bodies are all hosed up.

Roak

You can take the DIRf and still be a smoker... not a good thing... but you can.

The reason I suggest the GUE course is that starting with DIRf I think you would not only gain an understanding of SAC but also learn how to use it in gas planning.

Once you take a DIRf my guess is that you will have all the motivation you need to quite smoking so that you can go on with GUE training.

It would be a win/win for you.

btw: if as you say, "I AM NOT A SHEEP and I belive there is room for deviation." then deviating from what the other "cavers & tech divers in Jax" think shouldn't be a problem. :wink:

roakey once bubbled...

No, I'm saying that your implication that because you have a better SAC than other divers and are better/more relaxed/more experienced or whatever than them and therefore GUE should entertain you is wrong. Your low SAC is due to your body being all hosed up.

GUE doesn't want students whose bodies are all hosed up.

Roak

If what you says is true of GUE for smokers, why not go ahead & exclude people w/I don't know lets say high colesterol...that hoses up your heart, or people who are over 6' tall. After all they can't get into spaces that shorter people can. Or how about people who are 25, 50 or 100# over weight. I've seen several GUE guys that fit that discription... Who else can we come up with.

What I'm saying is What difference does it make if you smoke, or your over weight or over tall or have high colesterol as long as your bettering youself & your sport?

Ellitism theology should have gone the way of Hi***!!!!!!

...but, these are all correctable conditions. Overweight people need to consume less calories and exercise. People with high cholesterol need to eat a low cholesterol diet and exercise (I had high cholesterol a couple years ago and did this). People who are over 6' tall need to have their legs shortened...ok, kidding here, but that is something one cannot help.

IMHO, bettering yourself should start with basic health and not with scuba related stuff...move onto that once one has all the basics of bettering covered.

It's still discrimination.
GUE is the non-smoking restaurant of the dive certification agencies. :wink:

God my mother hates non-smoking restaurants :)

Ok... first off... SAC rate calculations are all math based... you _can_ learn the math on the Internet. learning how to actually use the numbers you calculate as a basis for dive planning can also be learned outside of a scuba class [I'm not endorsing that, I'm just stating it's possible].

Now as far as the DIR-f goes, I don't completely understand the non-smoking requirement. A recommendation is fine, but a prerequisite for the course seems a little extreme. There are many things just as bad, or worse, than smoking. What's next? "Meat eaters need not apply"?

It just seems out of place IMHO.

Yes... smoking is bad. I don't think you'll find one [minimally intellegent] smoker that doesn't accept the fact that it's bad for you... How many smokers do you know that started smoking in their 30s, or 40s, when they were old enough to truely understand the risks, and seen the effects? I don't know any smokers that started smoking after they were 19. However its shown that getting off nicotine is as hard, if not harder, then heroin! I've never been addicted to heroin, so I don't know for sure, but I'm sure it has to do with the really really hard part about quitting smoking.... which has to do with it's _everywhere_. It's nearly impossible to shelter yourself from seeing or smelling smoking while you try to quit.

Oh... O-Ring. Copenhagen won't work... it gets nasty when you spit into your reg, and your buddy'll probably kick your butt after a few s-drills!

Spectre once bubbled...
Ok... first off... SAC rate calculations are all math based... you _can_ learn the math on the Internet. learning how to actually use the numbers you calculate as a basis for dive planning can also be learned outside of a scuba class [I'm not endorsing that, I'm just stating it's possible].

Now as far as the DIR-f goes, I don't completely understand the non-smoking requirement. A recommendation is fine, but a prerequisite for the course seems a little extreme. There are many things just as bad, or worse, than smoking. What's next? "Meat eaters need not apply"?

It just seems out of place IMHO.

Yes... smoking is bad. I don't think you'll find one [minimally intellegent] smoker that doesn't accept the fact that it's bad for you... How many smokers do you know that started smoking in their 30s, or 40s, when they were old enough to truely understand the risks, and seen the effects? I don't know any smokers that started smoking after they were 19. However it's shown that getting off nicotine is as hard, if not harder, then heroin! I've never been addicted to heroin, so I don't know for sure, but I'm sure it has to do with the really really hard part about quitting smoking.... which has to do with it's _everywhere_. It's nearly impossible to shelter yourself from seeing or smelling smoking while you try to quit.

Oh... O-Ring. Copenhagen won't work... it gets nasty when you spit into your reg, and your buddy'll probably kick your butt after a few s-drills!

thethumper<---------------takes hat off to Spectre.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom