Sabang: Scandi Divers ft a week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are very happy we did not book in one of the locations downtown I was considering. The creepy vibe downtown with the middle age and old American guys "interacting" young women here is really sad and gross.

Thank you for the heads-up about this... I’m visiting the Philippines for the first time next year and I know seeing behaviour like this would cast a shadow over my holiday... It’s something I really want to avoid!

Enjoying reading the rest of your report - I’m considering Scandi Divers, so it’s really helpful - thanks a lot!

That is for posting. I’ll be in PG and Anilao next month. I’m set on Blue Ribbon but still waffling between El Galleon and Atlantis. As a single, the costs are too far apart as I won’t be doing a full board package.
Looking forward to your Anilao reviews.

That is for posting. I’ll be in PG and Anilao next month. I’m set on Blue Ribbon but still waffling between El Galleon and Atlantis. As a single, the costs are too far apart as I won’t be doing a full board package.
What is causing you to waffle between Atlantis and El Galleon? Maybe I can offer some advice?

There is really no reason to choose Atlantis unless you have too much money than sense!
However, they do cater plenty Yankees!
Avoid full board at any cost! Plenty to choose in the area.
Package: Room, breakfast and dive or transfer if you are not inclined to travel by public mean.

There is really no reason to choose Atlantis unless you have too much money than sense!
However, they do cater plenty Yankees!
Avoid full board at any cost! Plenty to choose in the area.
Package: Room, breakfast and dive or transfer if you are not inclined to travel by public mean.

Between the two options, IMO, there is no contest. El Galleon/Asia Divers will win hands down every time.

Atlantis is *way* over priced to stay and dive, but their location is nice.

El Galleon is a bit out of the way (so it's quieter), but still easy access to Sabang restaurants and bars. Asia Divers is also regarded as the top dive op in the country (except Tech diving). The food tends to be better at EG than Atlantis.

Wherever you decide to stay, I 100% recommend to everyone at least one dinner at Tamarind Restaurant, and a few evenings at Atlantis' 50 Bar. The bartender, Ton-Ton is one in a million.

I just reread my post and the costs for the room was supposed to read “are not too far apart” but after adding up incidentals and meals and massages, EG/Asia Divers does come out the winner after all.
For a verde island trip, EG charges $24 for 2 morning dives and Atlantis $98 for a 3 dive day trip, $98.
Massages are $14 vs $24 for 60 minutes.

I suppose the intangibles could play in favor of Atlantis, I’ll check it out when I’m there.

I still haven't figured out why Atlantis charges So much more for dives than anyone else in PG or Anilao..... it's never made sense to me... Their property is in really nice condition, sort of fancy by PG standards, but the rooms are underwhelming for the cost. El Galleon gets my vote every time. Angelyn's is a great option if you want central location, good rooms, good rates. And Scandi Divers is top notch, just removed from Sabang....

Food at Atlantis tends to be good, but there are so many great dining options around anyways.

Pro Tips:
  • Visit Tamarind for a dinner or two.
  • 50 Bar, Atlantis' bar on the beach side is a nice place for evening hangouts. Mellow, with an amazing bar tender, Ton-Ton.
  • You can buy great quality fresh seafood in Sabang and, for a small charge, Angelyn's will cook it up nicely for you.
  • Meals at El Galleon are great.
  • Big Apple is a great spot for lunch, try their pizzas!
  • And Papa Fred's steak house at the east end of Sabang is well worth the walk. Great surf and turf, and other options. More expensive than Tamarind, but great atmosphere for a date if your SO is traveling with you.

Actually, in term of diving price, Asia Divers is not cheap either...

When I went to PG last May, I dove with Sea Rider Dive Center and I got a much better price than with most of OPs in town. No complaint on their services, everything was great.

Fun Dive = 1000 PHP = $19
Night Dive = 1200 PHP = $23

@MomZo That's quite true, good point. They're definitely not the cheapest in town. But I do think they have a good value; cost to quality ratio. (In fact, I believe Asia Divers is the 2nd most expensive dive op in Sabang, but still a good step cheaper than Atlantis)

If someone is a well experienced *self sufficient* diver with their own gear, then by all means go for the most affordable. Personally, thats exactly what I do, but it all depends on the experience and skill of who I'm diving with. It's nice to have options.

Edit: But I should add that I have the benefit of living in Manila, so..yeah...not really traveling for me, I get around:p. I try to suggest based on personal experience, and for travelers - what they offer and how well can they accommodate, i.e. fun, interesting, *safe dives* and gear, safe accommodation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom