Saba- diving at sea level and then lodging at a higher altitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, We have thought about diving at Saba but so far it looks likes the lodging is at a higher altitude than what is recommended for multiple dives on multiple days. Our thereplaces to stay where we would not have to deal with the altitude problem.... Thanks much.

You are correct about the altitude. On the other hand, lots of divers dive there every day and don't have any issues. I'm told DAN studied that issue on Saba and says it's OK. I haven't seen the study. I did spend a week diving there and am very glad I went.

love to dive travel - wife and I had same concerns. Walter is correct DAN did do studys and found it O.K, the island is a must do. One of the few carib islands we will do again. Not for the shallow folks - alot of deeep stuff - way cool.
cat

Agree with above. Have been there multiple times, stayed in Windwardside with no adverse effects. What is not recommended is to hike the mountain after diving. If this is still a concern, you can try to find a place in The Bottom, which is between Windwardside and Ft. Bay. It is still higher than sea level, but no as much. There is a nice resort perched on a hill above The Bottom called Queen Anne (I think).

You might want to split your trip between saba and statia. Statia has lots of good dive sites and a great wreck, the CL brown. Also more topside with lots of historic sites, etc.

It's a non issue we who live here live in Windwardside village at 1200 ft. and dive everyday.

I agree with the consensus. Our cottage is at 1500 feet and we have never had a problem with the altitude. And there are several places higher than us (El Momo and Shearwater) that have divers staying and I've never heard reports of problems.

We have a house in Windwardside and dive frequently off Saba. It is not a issue. Correct though about not hiking Mt. Scenery after diving though.

We stayed in Windwardside and did 21 dives in 9 days. We also took a day off in the middle and hiked Sandy Cruz - no ill effects at all.

We stayed at Queens Garden above the town mentioned. A great view. And, a great place to dive. We'll go back to this island.

Back
Top Bottom