S90 + Lensmate adapter in an Ikelite housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jands

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit the S90 + Lensmate adapter in an Ikelite housing?

I tried to work this out by looking a the lensmate video and my housing, and it appears that the circumference of the adapter is too large, but I am a newbie to all this so maybe I am misjudging it,

If not, I will need to get the bulky Xtend-a-Lens™ Omni lens adapter, because the lensmate requires adhesive seals that would need to be removed every time I go underwater.

Updating this to add that I bought the Xtend-a-Lens™ Omni lens adapter with a set of close-up lenses. It might be bulky, but it is very secure, easy to remove, and the close-up lenses I can now attach have improved the S90's Macro shots enormously.

Now, I can continue getting more gear for underwater photography...next items on the list are strobes, and then an underwater macro.

I'm a bit confused. Are you using this gear underwater? attached to the outside of your Ikelite housing? Do you expect to use your lenses in saltwater?

Nope, this is an extension kit for above water only.

I know this is an underwater forum, but I initially posted my question because I wanted to buy a lensmate adapter.

These have to be 'glued' to the S90 lens barrel, so I wanted to know if anyone had any problems fitting this into the underwater casing.

Otherwise I would have to detach and re-glue it every time I changed from above water to underwater use.

The "port" on Ikelite housing has an internal diameter of about 4 cm. The widest diameter of the telescoping S90 lens is about 3.7 cm. It looks as though the adapter is a bit wider than that so even if it works, it's going to be darn close. Eyeballing it, I'd say it's not going to work.

Thanks, that is what I thought.

So, I am quite happy with the bulky Omni adapter.

It is more secure than the stick-on lensmate, and it will therefore allow me to add heavier add-ons as well (such as a zoom lens, or multiple macro lenses and a macro ring light).

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but was just looking in to this myself (really missed using a circular polarizer on a recent trip).

Looking at the lensmate pics, it looks like the receiver piece should be about the same diameter as the smaller portion of the s90 barrel, and definitely(?) smaller in diameter than the wider part of the barrel.

s90receiveroff.jpg

From this pic with just the receiver mounted on the camera, the whitish mark on the left of the receiver piece helps show its edge, which looks to be short of the edge of the wider part of the s90 barrel.

As such, it looks like it should fit/work fine in an Ike housing (which has a decent gap between the housing port and lens barrel). This is assuming you only want to use the filter & filter holder piece when not in the Ike housing (which is what I'm looking for). A filter (with the filter holder) looks to be a bit wider than the wider part of the s90 lens barrel, so probably wouldn't fit through the Ike port (or be really really close).

s90polarizer.jpg

I don't have much use for one at the moment, but will probably order one before my next trip and post my results here (unless someone else confirms that it works or not).

I've received the Lensmate adapter, and test fitted it in my Ike housing. It does indeed fit with just the receiver portion attached to the camera, like the first pic above (with an eyeball guesstimate of about a 1mm gap between port glass and the receiver when fully zoomed - based on dust on the inner port surface).

Very useful for those of us who want to bring just one camera (the s90) on a trip for both wet and dry photos, and have a desire to use a filter above water.

Okay, one more versatility advantage for the Ikelite over the Canon OEM housing. I can assure you that the Canon housing doesn't have anywhere near the space to accommodate the receiver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom