S600 technical help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmneill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
To the person who holds the knowledge: I am looking at a new Scubapro MK24/ S600 set on ebay. I have owned the combo twice in the past but never gained much technical knowledge of them.
Heres my question: The guy selling the set is a young guy that got them as a gift but never used them. Here's the thing though, as I suspected he of course did fool around with them and has admitted to leaving the inhalation assist know screwed all the way in for the last year and a half. (not correct if memory serves me) Can someone with intimate knowledge of this reg or regs in general tell me if this is going to need some sort of service, despite being "new" because of his error?
Thanks in advance!

You aren't going to know without putting it on a tank and listening for a small hiss.

Chances are it'll be fine.
If there is a leak most likely a small tweak to the orifice will fix it.
Least likely is it will need a new seat.

Thank you, I worried because of the extended duration he left it that way.

We left ours in a closet for 10 years while the kids grew. After they got certified, I put in some more dives in mine (MK20/G250) before I decided to do something about it. I finally opened it up, everything is still fine; I posted a report here.

Here's some non-technical "help" based only on my recent experience with an S600. I acknowledge technical incompetance, lack of a manual and general neglect of my regulators.

After 2 years and about 100 dives I noticed someone with an all-metal SP reg that had a shiny twirly knob on the end. I wondered why my S600 didn't have one. Upon inspection it turns out I do. It was screwed all the way in so I had a play with it. For good measure I found another knob with a dive/no-dive setting.

Short story. I fiddled with both knobs. They didn't seem to change much (warm water, max 160'). I ended up backing the twirly one on the end off a couple of turns. The reg seems unharmed in any way. I've also had them serviced by a technician who does some local dive shops and he thought they were in great condition even before he worked on them.

Here's some non-technical "help" based only on my recent experience with an S600. I acknowledge technical incompetance, lack of a manual and general neglect of my regulators.

After 2 years and about 100 dives I noticed someone with an all-metal SP reg that had a shiny twirly knob on the end. I wondered why my S600 didn't have one. Upon inspection it turns out I do. It was screwed all the way in so I had a play with it. For good measure I found another knob with a dive/no-dive setting.

Short story. I fiddled with both knobs. They didn't seem to change much (warm water, max 160'). I ended up backing the twirly one on the end off a couple of turns. The reg seems unharmed in any way. I've also had them serviced by a technician who does some local dive shops and he thought they were in great condition even before he worked on them.

LOL! Good stuff.

The MK25/S600 is one of our best selling regulators due to it's performance ever since it was released.

The fact that the previous owner "fooled around" without causes concern. However, if it was only screwing in the inhalatin effort knob, then no real harm done. Unscrew it all the way out for best breathing, hook up to a tank and see if it freeflows. If you have any concerns, take to an Authorized SCUBAPRO Dealer for inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom