s230 purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGonTheWay

Reaction score
I think I am about to get an s230 with housing. What advice is there on the use of this camera? anyone used one? like it? anything querky about it? work well without strobe?

Etc

Sorry, I can't think of anyone who uses this model. I've just had a really quick look on www.dpreview.com and it looks like this is a fully auto camera bar the ISO ratings and mwb. It also has 10cm minimum focus distance for macro.

I think it will be a nice little happy snappy, but I wouldn't be looking to add extra lenses etc to it. It just doesn't have the controls you need to get the most out of them. But I've seen shots from other cameras will no manual controls and as long as you learn to work with your camera instead of hoping it can do things it wasn't built for, the results can be really nice.

You'll need to do some test shots to make sure you stay in range of your internal flash and also learn how to set your mwb for those times you are outside its range.

This looks very much like my original - waaaaaay back - A20. Turn it on,set the ISO and go. I did use the A20 with an external strobe (Ikelite with a slave controller) and it did just fine. But I had used strobes before and had an idea on how to get around the camera not knowing that I was going to add a whole heap of light to the scene.

Without being able to control aperture and shutter, these cameras simply look at the scene and set themselves. When you add strobe light in many cases you can overexpose as the camera was expecting way less light. There are ways around it and it just takes some patience and some practice.

I guess if your heart is set on this unit then go for it! The sooner you have a camera the sooner you can start learning!

For me, I would look at the A series (A70 or A75 are both 3MP) as they allow complete manual controls and that's the way to have a camera that will grow with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom