S100 - white balance for video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regarding white balance using the s95 I have attached the a margarine lid(cheap) with a piece of line to my bcd and used that to white balance. otherwise the palm of the hand works ok as does a white sandy bottom, with one touch white balance white balance balance as much as you can as light changes so quickly under water. I use the Dyron dome when shooting video, the wider the shot the less noticeable is camera shake, get wide and stay wide. Keep the sun out of the shot as much as possible it will burn out. Sometimes the video from these little cameras looks really nice, and is a great supplement to their still capability.

Thanks again, Interceptor.

By the way, in case anyone else is wondering, I did manage to get my hands on an S100 and the manual WB setting is the same for stills as it is for video. That is to say, if you manually set WB with the dial in "P" that same WB setting holds when you move the dial to video.

That would make no sense as video does not use the internal flash and the camera does so it is possible that if you leave both P and Video on custom white balance they stay there but the white balance itself won't be retained
Even if you put the camera flash off still it wants another reading. This with my S95 and I see no reason why this should be different with the S100 as it is just logical

Thanks again, Interceptor.

By the way, in case anyone else is wondering, I did manage to get my hands on an S100 and the manual WB setting is the same for stills as it is for video. That is to say, if you manually set WB with the dial in "P" that same WB setting holds when you move the dial to video.

Hi Interceptor, I never custom WB with the internal flash on, always with flash off. In your opinion, does the above make sense now?

Continuing on, why would anyone WB with the flash on? To my way of thinking, if the flash is providing enough light, use auto WB. If the flash is not going to provide enough light, put it off and use custom WB. What do you think of that?

Thanks

You can white balance with the flash on there is no issue with that at all

Anyway I have looked into the way the camera stores the information and the white balance does not depend on the position of the mode dial
So if you white balance in any mode it will retain it for all the others

Still I would recommend white balancing at each clip or still as that is best practice

Last edited:
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom