S100 - white balance for video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater mode is nothing else than a red filter, even with a red filter you should white balance hence the underwater mode is not an option
To set white balance the procedure is func set navigate to the customer WB and then press menu, if this is too annoying the shortcut button can be set to custom white balance

For what concerns the comment from ivakdiver, autofocus underwater is a pain and with a wide angle lens you don't actually need to refocus much anyway
To help you out look at manual page 99
Shooting with focus lock
keep the shutter button half pressed then press left arrow
The MF indicator appears and you are in focus lock
Press left and left again to release focus lock

Not sure what is that you are getting at however the white balance stays between the still modes but when you change to movie it is different.
So if you move between P-A-T-M it stays if you go to movie it goes to whatever is in that setting likewise the way back

However the question is why the hell would you stay with the same white balance? Shooting videos and still is different and it is unlikely you will be in the same situation to reuse the WB? You should WB before each clip you start

Hi Interceptor, thanks for your response.

What I'm after is clarity. And your response is pretty clear, thanks. Unfortunately, it's not what I was hoping to hear. The reason is if I'm at a scene, I white balance and then shoot still and then shoot video without rebalancing for white. Are you saying I should WB again, and if so, why?

Thanks!

---------- Post added ----------

I understand that you should WB at the start of every clip. However, my question is....what is the procedure for doing this? It is my understanding that you set the camera (in my case S95) to Auto WB. Then zoom in (I have a WA lens) to a white slate. How long do you hold it there? I assume the camera should only see white...if it sees blue will there be a problem?

Hi dogface79, if you "want to WB", I think you want to *manually* WB. So no auto WB. In my experience, auto WB is useful only within about 10 feet of water, no more. (I don't have any experience with the S100, but I don't see how it can be that much different) See page 83 in the manual for manual WB. I use a white slate to provide the white surface. Other people say they use their hand or white sand or the sun or an alum cylinder. I say just use a slate, is it that much more to carry? I just stick it in my belt for easy handling (it is also clipped to a D ring, just in case)

Minor quibble: "I understand that you should WB at the start of every clip" Why? If you take 2 clips of the same subject, same depth, same orientation, why redo the WB? On the other hand, if you are following a fish and it changes depth on the same clip while you are filming, you will run into WB problems. This may be why some people prefer auto WB, but I have not had much luck with it with my earlier Panasonic ZS3. Maybe the S100 is better, maybe not, I don't know.

Hi Interceptor, thanks for your response.

What I'm after is clarity. And your response is pretty clear, thanks. Unfortunately, it's not what I was hoping to hear. The reason is if I'm at a scene, I white balance and then shoot still and then shoot video without rebalancing for white. Are you saying I should WB again, and if so, why?

Thanks!

When you white balance a still the camera has a number of setting for exposure and may even trigger the flash, in video there is no light and the camera itself operates in an entirely different mode than it would do in stills.
Just one simple difference in stills you tend to shoot upwards in video you tend to still parallel or even downwards if you have a filter
So though this is not the answer you were looking for it is the answer you get. You should white balance at the start of each clip using the camera orientation you will have during the shot

My question was much more basic then the answer I got But have since figured it out. My question in basic terms was "How do you white balance"? Thats all. Thanks for your informative responses though! My follow up question ....should I be WBing while using a sola 800 video light with a WA lens?

Adding on to Dogface's question: Interceptor, as one who has probably answered 20 of my questions during the past month, I'm about to buy my S100 set-up. I will be getting a sola light. Should I use a filter when shooting video or will changing my WB as needed do the trick?

Rob

peeweediver you should put a like on each one of my answers!

As for stills filters and lights are not compatible you would get a horrible hue. If your light has the right temperature you set the WB to auto and that is enough as you would do for a still.
Filters are for natural light video. Which to be frank is all real wide angle video. Your lights even a dual set will soon be a complete waste of time further than one meter and really be useful just for macro
I have bought myself a fisheye light saber costs little and is good for macro with no color hue check my moalboal or dauin videos alternative a boss focu light is good too

I would not spend all that money for a sola unless I had two or I needed it for murky waters having said that if you have money to spare why not? I find Inon Le series good value for money

Adding on to Dogface's question: Interceptor, as one who has probably answered 20 of my questions during the past month, I'm about to buy my S100 set-up. I will be getting a sola light. Should I use a filter when shooting video or will changing my WB as needed do the trick?

Rob

---------- Post added ----------

My question was much more basic then the answer I got But have since figured it out. My question in basic terms was "How do you white balance"? Thats all. Thanks for your informative responses though! My follow up question ....should I be WBing while using a sola 800 video light with a WA lens?

in short NO set it to auto wb

Are you buying an external strobe? We will basically have the same set up...I'm leaving to do some diving in the Caymans...I will post Video and photos when I return...

Dogface: I already have the YS-02..simply little strobe...from my current SD-1300 set up which is going to my wife..not the strobe, the camera and housing. As an instructor I can get the sola light at cost from my shop, so it's worth it even though I agree with Interceptor that I'll need to be really close for it to help on video.
I'll look for your pics from the Caymans.
Rob

When you white balance a still the camera has a number of setting for exposure and may even trigger the flash, in video there is no light and the camera itself operates in an entirely different mode than it would do in stills.
Just one simple difference in stills you tend to shoot upwards in video you tend to still parallel or even downwards if you have a filter
So though this is not the answer you were looking for it is the answer you get. You should white balance at the start of each clip using the camera orientation you will have during the shot

Thanks Interceptor. Good point about WB with each new orientation. And I never WB with flash, always forced off and then shoot with forced off.

But could I have a little more detail about why WB for still is inherently different from WB for video? (Once again, I take your point about orientation, but is there anything else?) Video is just extremely fast still is it not? Thanks.

Video is not fast stills the shutter doesn't close and the apertures are wider
Also in video you point flat and with a filter sometimes downwards totally different set up would require you use another white balance as orientation and aperture have a strong influence on highlights

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom