S. Padre in Winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JanR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all (or with this group Y'all--I pay Texas property taxes after all),

My wife and I just got certified on a trip to Tahiti and we are fully hooked on diving.

We are planning a trip to Hawaii to get another fix but are looking at other opportunites to dive and keep our skills up. We live in Virginia and diving here in the winter just sounds COLD.

HOWEVER, my parents snow-bird in Mercedes (about an hour from S. Padre) and we regularly visit over Christmas. Our thoughts are we can take a day during the Christmas break and let Grandma and Grandpa watch our kids (10, 3, 2) while we go dive.

But, not knowing the water conditions in December, is S. Padre a viable option during this time frame?? We've gone swiming off the beach during this time and the water wasn't that bad. But surface water temperature and temperatures at 60 feet or deeper are very likely to be colder.

Can someone help us out?

1. Water temperature and recommended wet suits for this time of year?
2. Are surface conditions fine for diving (waves, surge, current?) in December?
3. Visbility concerns?
4. Good sites to dive and operators to inquire?

Thanks for the help. Just trying to find workable diving solutions other than diving freezing quarries in-between trips to warmer waters.

Thanks again,

Jan

Back
Top Bottom