S-49 submarine Patuxent River, MD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got a scanner? I'd enjoy seeing them. I was at the Washington Navy Yard for about 5 months during First Class Diving School in the early 1970s and never heard about this boat.

It is amazing what a repository for diving history Scubaboard has become.

Here you go.....
PC090122.JPG

PC090123.JPG

I have several old photos of the sub itself....didn't have an underwater camera when I dove it. Apparently she ran aground while still in the Navy......it looks like an explosion going on behind it, maybe they tried to blast it off the sandbar???? Somebody got kicked out of the Navy for this one!!!! Only one officer ever retained his commission after running his boat aground...Chester Nimitz.
PC090125.JPG

Last edited:

That photo of the chamber brings back memories... mostly bad. Notice how they raised the whole chamber and added long pipe nipples so operator's face was close enough to read the depth gauges? That field-fix sort of worked except it put the control valves uncomfortably high, especially for a runt like me. What were they thinking???

I have no doubt that the government spent more on engineers and contracting-geeks than the first chamber, but managed to overlook dozens of functional flaws that were even obvious to me as a young sailor. I guess I should thank them for making embarrassing mistakes that prevented me from repeating them years later.

That photo of the chamber brings back memories... mostly bad. Notice how they raised the whole chamber and added long pipe nipples so operator's face was close enough to read the depth gauges? That field-fix sort of worked except it put the control valves uncomfortably high, especially for a runt like me. What were they thinking???

I have no doubt that the government spent more on engineers and contracting-geeks than the first chamber, but managed to overlook dozens of functional flaws that were even obvious to me as a young sailor. I guess I should thank them for making embarrassing mistakes that prevented me from repeating them years later.

I noticed that...it looks like they got it up on a platform on the floor. The dude that set it up was probably 6 ft 9 and thought he was getting it right. Maybe I am dreaming, it's been a while since I even thought about all this stuff, but if I remember right I heard or read somewhere that this chamber was set up and could be moved {flown} to anywhere it might be needed in a hurry. Such as an emergency involving the need for divers {some sort of rescue}???? Maybe they set several of their chambers up for this. Notice the lift rings on top, maybe helicoptered onto a deck at the scene if salvage vessels couldn't get there fast enough??? It would be interesting to know what ever happened to that old chamber....probably scrapped for pennies on the dollar.
Akimbo, what years were you in the Navy?? and thank you for your service!!!

Last edited:
... if I remember right I heard or read somewhere that this chamber was set up and could be moved {flown} to anywhere it might be needed in a hurry...

From what I remember, Aluminum was chosen primarily to save weight for a fly-away package. The strange part is the design wasn't very friendly to aircraft loadmasters. Most portable chambers have skids and several places to attach slings to make them crane and forklift-friendly. This image also shows how ergonomics have improved.

full.jpg

They were also pretty concerned over chamber fire safety in those days and Aluminum was desirable because a dropped tool won't spark. That is one reason that all deck plates in modern chambers are Aluminum now.

Edit:
Akimbo, what years were you in the Navy??

1969-73

Last edited:
From what I remember, Aluminum was chosen primarily to save weight for a fly-away package. The strange part is the design wasn't very friendly to aircraft loadmasters. Most portable chambers have skids and several places to attach slings to make them crane and forklift-friendly. This image also shows how ergonomics have improved.

They were also pretty concerned over chamber fire safety in those days and Aluminum was desirable because a dropped tool won't spark. That is one reason that all deck plates in modern chambers are Aluminum now.

Edit:

1969-73

Yeah, just from lookin' at the photos....I'd a whole lot rather get in yours!!!! One thing I have always wondered...if you are breathing helium oxygen mix why do you even need to de-compress at all??? Isn't there no nitrogen involved??? Thanks again for your service!!!

... One thing I have always wondered...if you are breathing helium oxygen mix why do you even need to de-compress at all??? Isn't there no nitrogen involved??? Thanks again for your service!!!

All diluent gases are absorbed and released when the ambient pressure changes. In diving, a diluent gas is any biologically inert gas that is used to dilute Oxygen to prevent Oxygen Toxicity. Nitrogen is not an inert gas like Helium, but it is biologically inert for all practical purposes.

Last edited:
Only one officer ever retained his commission after running his boat aground...Chester Nimitz.

Not quite
VMH: FRANCIS E. BROWN, LCDR, USN

"Francis was commanding officer of USS S 39 (SS 144) from March 31, 1942 until August 15, 1942 when that boat went aground while on her 5th war patrol and was lost. The entire crew was saved.

He then briefly (one month) had command of S-43 (SS 154) before taking command of S-44 (SS 155) on October 31, 1942. He took the boat from the Pacific back to the east coast of the US for overhaul, returning to the war zone in September 1943."

Francis is the only skipper to have lost two boats in World War II."

He was lost with the S-44 on Oct 7, 1943.

Bob

Only one officer ever retained his commission after running his boat aground...Chester Nimitz.

Found another

Lieutenant Commander John Rowland McKnight, Jr. Ran aground and lost S-36 later commanded the U.S.S. PORPOISE, and retired as an Admiral.

Tired of hunting, but there are probably more, it's a nice legend though.

Bob

Last edited:
Found another.............Tired of hunting, but there are probably more, it's a nice legend though.
Bob

Wow, it's must have really been a long winter where you live. Endless apologies, a thousand pardons. Maybe I better add an addendum...the only officer to run his ship aground during peacetime and retain his commission after being court martialed.....I am hopeful that you can soon go on a dive and quit worrying about things like this.

Back
Top Bottom