RX100 mk IV vs Panasonic LX100 for 4k video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking on a 4k video setup and about to cancel full-frame dreams (a7rII). Does anyone have experience with both the new
RX100mk4 and the Panasonic LX100? I found this reference:

A Thousand Words A Picture: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 and Leica D-Lux Type 109 Review

“Additionally, the video output from the sensor uses pixel-skipping; unlike cameras like the Sony RX100M3 which take a full sensor read-out and then resample to 1080p.
(The GH4 is different in that it uses pixel-binning to produce its output… the input from adjacent pixels is combined before the data is read off the sensor.)
The end result is that the LX100 tends to produce aliasing and moire on relatively coarse details. For 4K output, the video is taken from a smaller crop area, but without the pixel skipping.”

The crop is not significant AFAIK, can someone confirm, that the Panasonic also does full-sensor readout in 4k? This would make it an ideal choice vs to the 1" Sony.

A late feedback to the topic: I decided for the rx100IV + NA-rx100IV housing. On land, the camera overheats quickly, ~25C room temperature, handheld, it lasts only one full 5min clip, the second shuts down the camera.

I am curious how it will behave in really warm water - e.g 30°C pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom