Choosing a compact for underwater video only - LX100ii, RX100 V/Va/VI or LX10?

compact for underwater video only

• Panasonic Lumix LX100ii

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RX100 V/Va/VI...

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Panasonic Lumix LX10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out what compact would work best for underwater video only.

I've been looking at specs, reading reviews and feedback here (thanks again EvilOtter) and also wherever else I could find them, including for older RX100 models - watching side by side videos and uw clips I could find,
but unfortunately the mass of contradictory information found online is still a little more confusing.

To summarise what I'm looking for:

I'm only interested in a compact for shooting underwater video clips only, not stills.

I'd shoot in 1080 and/or up to 4k, 24/30 to 60 fps - mainly with shallow ambient light in the tropics - and mainly wide angle general reef scences, with a red filter (primary)
and less commonly with lights for macro/closeups (secondary) -
I don't really care much for slow-motion.

As a side-note I'm well aware of the limitations but have decided to focus on on compact-sized cameras for now for practical reasons,

- mainly to have something with manual controls and of reasonable size to work with for a couple of years before eventually upgrading to something bigger and
more efficient like a dedicated camcorder or mirrorless.

Main points of interest to me:

white balance for video

in camera white balance (I'm partial to Lumix cameras on this), possibility to do a manual white balance, possibility to shoot in a flat profile to white balance in post
(I don't think there is a compact capable of shooting raw video, but a flat/ flatter profile option would be very useful)

low-light capacities for video

how efficient is the video in lower light conditions - ie how will the camera handle darker days, going a little deeper, say with a red filter, what are the manual options

efficient video autofocus

how good is the autofocus when shooting video - some cameras (LX series) have touch screen focus controls to set focus, but this is not really a practical option in a housing.
How good is the camera at tracking in the sort of environment we shoot in underwater etc...

video image quality

how defined is the video image, dynamic range etc - these compact cameras come with 2 sensor size options, four thirds for the LX100 ii and 1" for the others,
but it's not clear what really works best due to cropping, processing etc
Not a major difference in apertures for these cameras, but there might be something to lookout for in lens quality

video stabilisation

these compact cameras offer 2 types, lens and in camera - the RX100 seems to have a slight edge on this

battery life

how does the battery hold when shooting video - I've heard that the RX series drains batteries very quickly when shooting 4k videos 
this is less of an issue on land, but underwater and in housing, for one hour dives shooting short clips, more so

overheating when shooting video?

I've heard this is/was a major issues when shooting video on the Sony RX series.
I shoot to edit 10 to 30 seconds clips,
might go up to 1 minute for very specific reasons but not beyond, so a 5 minute cap like the RX100's 4k mode doesn't bother me for instance

however the camera will indeed be used for underwater video only, in a housing, so really
not very practical if it overheats easily

---------
As mentioned in the title, I've narrowed down the search to 3 classic compacts:

• Sony RX100 V or VI
 / VII
• Lumix LX100 ii

• Lumix LX 10

But I'm open to other recommendations for good video cameras of of similar size.

I am quite partial to the Lumix series, have seen some good really good and helpful feedback here (thanks again), but have been reading contradicting information on video performance,
 especially when compared to the RX series.

It doesn't really help that most of the video info found elsewhere online is focused on vloggers shooting in very different conditions from what we would find underwater,
 and that most commercial showreels focus on closeup scenes with a great light rig, which is not what i'll be using the camera for most of the time, and that they hardly go into white balancing

Some info i've picked up along the way on these cameras:

The older Panasonic LX10 seems to have focusing issues, and stabilisation is not great.

The Sony RX line (V, VI, VII....) is also very interesting, but I have heard of the overheating issues, which seems to be a common problem for other users shooting video.

Since I'll be using this camera for video only, this does seem like a major problem.
Not clear if this is major issue really fixed with the RX100 VII - found tests saying that it is, others that it isn't... Apparently in a studio, 40 minutes of continuous shooting is possible, but not sure how this would translate inside a housing.

RX100 battery life is also supposed to be quite dismal when shooting video, again not great underwater, and not sure what to make of its white balance options.

The Panasonic LX100 ii seems like a good alternative without the overheating issues and with better battery management, but what of autofocus, low light and image quality? it's also not clear how its bigger sensor really performs

-------
Beyond dry camera specs, it would be fantastic if people with real-life underwater video experience with these cameras could give opinions to help me make a more informed decision 
on which compact to get for shooting uw video clips

Thanks in advance for your help and pointers
:)

cheers
ben

As an update, I've received advice elsewhere to go for the.... LX10 instead of the LX100 ii or RX100 vii for UW video.

Reasoning was that the overheating issue on the RX100 series is a no-go for video, and white balancing isn't good, even though the newer camera models have improved.

The LX100 ii apparently has very frustrating control access for UW video, because of its retro design - I hadn't heard of this issue before.

Precious advice, but making things a little more complicated at atime where I was about to settle for the RX100 vii....
default_wacko.png

Would anyone have more info on overheating and white-balancing for recent models of the RX100 series?

From what i gathered on previous RX100 models, you couldn't set the white balance in video mode but could shoot video from any of the WB-capable camera modes.

I've also started looking into the Sony a6500 as a potentially better compact sized option

thanks

b

Personally I would wait until the end of the year to see what's released unless you have some big trips coming up?

I'm following your research very closely as it's exactly what I've been looking into for the last year. Only thing stopping me from getting the LX10 is it's getting a bit dated now.

Personally I would wait until the end of the year to see what's released unless you have some big trips coming up?

I'm following your research very closely as it's exactly what I've been looking into for the last year. Only thing stopping me from getting the LX10 is it's getting a bit dated now.

Hi - I work in diving so, it's more about when and where can I buy stuff ( currently in SE Asia), and now was a good time - Ended up getting the LX10 + Nauticam housing as I don't think Sony will be addressing the white-balance issue and the housing on the LX100s is just too big for a compact.
Fun thing is that the interface is pretty much like a GH5, which will make the transition easier when I do make the switch to something bigger.

All good so far -
The LX10 has a major sensor crop when shooting 4K, bring the focal to 36mm - Which means that a wide angle lense is necessary - best choice for portability sees to be the Inon uwlh10028m67 -
This wet lens reasonably priced, smallish and you don't need to zoom in to avoid vignetting for video because of the sensor crop (but you do for stills)
Brings the field of view back to around 80˚

The LX10 is getting hard to find, and I wouldn't count on reselling it easily given its age - but if it's video you're after it's still a solid option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom