RX-100 back from Lembeh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

albatross911

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, been away from the forum for a while as not much diving recently. Just returned from a trip to Lembeh and here's the set from the trip: 201310 Lembeh - a set on Flickr

Been using the RX-100 in Nauticam housing with a Inon 165 and a Subsee +10 wet lenses and sometimes stacked together. Stills were taken with Inon S-2000 strobe. Bought a new iTorch Pro 6 video light just before the trip but forgot to pack the charger...so only used it sparingly with just 1 battery. Also used a L&M 1200 during a night dive when my buddy skipped the dive. Tried the UV light of the Pro 6 once and it looked beautiful but without a filter for the camera it could not capture the bioluminescence. So that's what I'll look for next. Also without a flip holder switching between the 2 lenses or stacking them is a pain so will shop for one too.

Lembeh has always been my favorite place and this time staying at NAD-Lembeh and their camera room is excellent.

Very nice shots. Did you use the subsee or subsee+165 for most of the macro?

Some really nice shots.
How did you achieve focus? Did you use manual focus or peaking or ...?
I really struggle with the tiny depth of field you get with the macro lenses. It really is a patience game.

Thanks! It was really a mix of all 3 options, 165, +10 and 165 & +10, depending on what worked best at the time. Since it was Lembeh I usually went in with the 165 on and when coming upon a really tiny critter I stacked the +10 in front. A few times I switched to just the +10 but switching was really time consuming.

The early dives I started with auto focus and when it can't achieve lock then switched to manual with peaking. The later dives I simply went manual all the way. When stacked the focal plane was really narrow but peaking was very useful. Just some hairy critters were more difficult even with peaking and had to use some surrounding objects at same distance as reference.

I was just told of a Nauticam Super Macro Converter (SMC) that will be released soon with M67 thread that may achieve +20. Wonder what that'd be like! Estimated price is USD480.

Nice pictures! Why is lembeh just so far away from Switzerland...... ;-)

Tino

I was doing research on the Sony RX-100 II, because my Canon S95 died last week, after my Canon housing flooded at the beginning of my last dive... in Lembeh! And I also stayed at NAD-Lembeh!! It was my first trip there, but definitely won't be my last, especially since I work in Singapore (3.25hr flight + 1.5hr land & sea transfer). Lembeh is macro heaven! I loved NAD's camera room! I think after seeing everyone's camera setups, I definitely got camera envy, and my housing probably got jealous and decided to flood itself. (Actually, I discovered the O-ring was dirty, which is strange because I blew away all debris using the tank they provided in the camera room just before my last dive.) Oh well, time to upgrade!

I also got the INON D-2000 strobe for the Lembeh trip. It came in handy, but I'm still learning to use it. I did some research and was highly considering soon-to-be released Panasonic Lumix GM1--the smallest micro four-thirds camera--but I don't want to wait until a housing is created for it (if ever). The performance of the RX-100 Mk I and II are superb, and there are already housings (albeit expensive) available for both cameras.

Seeing your photos, however, was a second sign sent from above to tell me that I should definitely go with the Sony! Your shots are beautiful!! I didn't even think shots like that were possible on a point-and-shoot, even with a strobe or two.

What settings do you recommend on both your strobe and camera? I was playing around during my Lembeh trip, and I usually was in Manual mode, f/5.6 or so, ISO200, 1/126 or 1/250. And the strobe was also set to M, power was at 12 o'clock. But my shots were no where near as gorgeous as yours. I stacked two INON UCL-165M67 close-up lenses together.

I'm looking forward to getting myself the RX-100 II as my Christmas present, but I better start saving up some more, because that Nauticam housing is expensive! Costs more than the camera!

I was doing research on the Sony RX-100 II, because my Canon S95 died last week, after my Canon housing flooded at the beginning of my last dive... in Lembeh! And I also stayed at NAD-Lembeh!! It was my first trip there, but definitely won't be my last, especially since I work in Singapore (3.25hr flight + 1.5hr land & sea transfer). Lembeh is macro heaven! I loved NAD's camera room! I think after seeing everyone's camera setups, I definitely got camera envy, and my housing probably got jealous and decided to flood itself. (Actually, I discovered the O-ring was dirty, which is strange because I blew away all debris using the tank they provided in the camera room just before my last dive.) Oh well, time to upgrade!

I also got the INON D-2000 strobe for the Lembeh trip. It came in handy, but I'm still learning to use it. I did some research and was highly considering soon-to-be released Panasonic Lumix GM1--the smallest micro four-thirds camera--but I don't want to wait until a housing is created for it (if ever). The performance of the RX-100 Mk I and II are superb, and there are already housings (albeit expensive) available for both cameras.

Seeing your photos, however, was a second sign sent from above to tell me that I should definitely go with the Sony! Your shots are beautiful!! I didn't even think shots like that were possible on a point-and-shoot, even with a strobe or two.

What settings do you recommend on both your strobe and camera? I was playing around during my Lembeh trip, and I usually was in Manual mode, f/5.6 or so, ISO200, 1/126 or 1/250. And the strobe was also set to M, power was at 12 o'clock. But my shots were no where near as gorgeous as yours. I stacked two INON UCL-165M67 close-up lenses together.

I'm looking forward to getting myself the RX-100 II as my Christmas present, but I better start saving up some more, because that Nauticam housing is expensive! Costs more than the camera!

Yeah NAD is full of enthusiasts and their gears are jaw-dropping and make you want to upgrade, but I'm very happy with a compact setup! If you are looking at the RX100 II make sure to check out interceptor's blog, full of details.

I was mainly shooting in manual with lowest iso and highest shutter speed, 1/2000, with my strobe mainly on auto power B. Then adjust aperture, strobe angle and distance and usually last the strobe power depending on the situation. Lots of trial and error actually but good in Lembeh as water is clam and can have all the time to try!

So go for your Christmas present!! Serious camera housing is always more expensive than the camera, but if it's good can outlast the camera itself. That's why I'm considering buying a second RX100 as a backup now that the price has dropped.

I will go to Anilao in 2 weeks, which is the Lembah of the Philippines! Need to look for a filter to use with my florescent torch.

Thx for the tips!! Anilao is definitely on my to-dive list. Do you happen to have the Sony stick-on AG-R1 grip? The RX body is very slippery. The grip is great, but I'm sure it'll have to be removed for any underwater housing. There's a company that makes base grips (screw into the tripod hole), but they only made one for the Mark I, and it blocks the battery/SD door.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

No I use a no brand leather case like the Sony original that serves as a grip and protect it too. Got it for only around US USD 15 and without the big Sony logo too, just what I'd like 😜 True that it blocks the battery and card door but I have an Eye-fi card so quite convenient top side

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom