Rviews of Halcyon Scout light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SwedishDiver

Reaction score
Hi !
I'm about to buy backup-lights intended for technical diving. Where I live only two is regarded OK for this purpose. The Halcyon Scout and the UK300. I need information and reviews from users all around the world. Is it worth the extra bucks the Scout is ?

/ SD

I like the scouts. However, there is an alternative. Manta makes a scout knock-off. Its about US$20.00 cheaper than the scout. The body is a corrugated metal, presumably aluminum, but I believe that the head is the same.

I've seen them in use and don't see any discernable difference between them and the scouts. In fact, I'd buy them if I didn't already own backups.

The Manta light retails for $85, about the same as the Scout. I can't see any possible advantage to having a metal body instead of machined Delrin.
I've never seen one of the Manta's except on their web site. Is there a place to attach a bolt snap?

I have a pair of Scout's and am quite happy with them. I could have saved a few $$ and gotten clones, but so far, I haven't seen any that were better and several that were much worse. The battery tray seems to be an issue with some models.

John

One of the supposed advantages of the halcyon light is that the bulb is not overdriven like most lights making it less likely to fail.

Less bright, but more reliable. I'm not sure how the Manta stacks up here...but for $20...

jdh once bubbled...
The Manta light retails for $85, about the same as the Scout. I can't see any possible advantage to having a metal body instead of machined Delrin.
I've never seen one of the Manta's except on their web site. Is there a place to attach a bolt snap?

I have a pair of Scout's and am quite happy with them. I could have saved a few $$ and gotten clones, but so far, I haven't seen any that were better and several that were much worse. The battery tray seems to be an issue with some models.

John

My LDS retails the Manta's for about $20.00 less than a Scout.

I never said that there was an advantage in metal over Delrin; however, I'm not convinced that there are any disadvantages either.

Of course there are places to attach a bolt snap. Just like a scout.

I believe that the Manta and the Halcyon use the same light head, so overdriving shouldn't be a problem with either.

For the record, I like my Scouts. However, the poster mentioned cost as a concern. I'd look at the Mantas.

but it's not Halcyon..and, and it won't match!

Then everyone will think you're a wanna be. Then people will stare at you and think you're an accident waiting to happen,

and............ well, my, my this is not good.............

;-0

wetman once bubbled...
The Pelican Super SabreLight is a nice and cheap alternative. Take the clip off it and you've got a good spot to tie to a bolt snap. You can buy about 4 of those for the price of one scout. The beam is almost identical.

steve

Yes and out of the 4 times I used one.....3 times it flooded POS.
YMMV

Jeff

Note I now use the UK SL4

I use 2 4c UK4's and a princeton rage as my back up...the total cost of all 3 of these lights is less than 1 scout... if I flood 2 switches and a twist on after a primary failure I am in BIG trouble and delrin plastic will not get me out of it!!!

I also do things like light checks and battery changes to insure they are ALL in working order BEFORE I dive them. The failure is usually not the equipment but the user!!!

Aka Super Saber

I have 2 that have 50-60 dives on them, several at around 100ft with no problems. These were purchased at the local home improvement store for $20 each. Keep the O-rings clean and lubed and they work fine. At a 4 to 1 cost I can afford to replace the occasional one if it floods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom