Russian Vintage Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1186689_419390281499953_302437050_n.jpg Valery Mukhin

Trapezus & Valery Mukhin

I certainly enjoy your posts and the pictures!

Very educational ...

So many varieties of dive equipment, well used and abused to fully restored, the divers; tall & short, fat & skinny, light & dark skinned, OLD and young, highly educated to minimum education from many parts of the world , where it is very hot or very cold or even just the perfect temperature, speaking many languages worshiping in many religions but all universally united as "divers."

I strongly suspect we will never meet "up close and personal" even if we did we probably could not effectively communicate until we submerged and used diving signals. (see Scuba Diving and Recreation Center in Northwest Ohio - Portage Quarry "Sea Sabres signaling system)

Valery
I consider the picture of the young lady walking out of the water holding an UW camera one of the finest topside diving pictures I have ever seen. With your permission I would like to extract it from this thread and have it framed for my den.

Both of you BRAVO ! Keep up the great work of uniting the divers of the world

SDM

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the clear plastic tube from the first to second stage and wrapped around the lp hose? Additional air flow for a particular purpose ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added September 26th, 2015 at 06:10 PM ----------

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the clear plastic tube from the first to second stage and wrapped around the lp hose? Additional air flow for a particular purpose ?

The purpose of the plastic tubing is explained later in the video as a "low tank pressure annunciator ", something I have never seen before. I understand the concept , but see potential drawbacks including poor visibility, strong currents and other factors that would mitigate the benefits. Was this system popular in the region the unit was sold?

Another winner!

Viewing this I was reminded of so many years ago --- 50-60-perhaps as long as 70 years ago,

I noted the camera housing in the video was round ...I "attempted" to also construct an Underwater Camera Housing in the very genesis of recreational diving and the advent of underwater photography using a huge round pressure cooker as the housing. It was the kind that had screw fittings to secure the top. Cutting the front and rear view ports and sealing with a gasket was not a problem, the handles were also sealed with a gasket and some aerospace goo (?). The problem was the big gasket around the lid to the pressure cooker. I never could get that to adequately seal...finally I scrapped the entire project and purchased an early Rolie Marine 11, which now rests on a long departed dive buddy's son's mantel as a silent tribute to photographs and underwater adventures of the past.

I note the lady showering...The public rest rooms especially showers were almost non existent until about 1960s, but public car washers were becoming common in California. So when we went on a week end dive trip we would also have a eye trained for a car wash. At the end of the trip we would go t a public car wash drop in a quarter and shower away. Our bodies became free of itchy salt and the equipment was clean and ready for packing...Them wer tha Daz..

Memories!

You are certainly are an expert in searching out vintage diving videos from all over the world ,,,all containing, as one of my old dive buddies from the 1950-60 the late John D Craig described the tribe "just a bunch of lousy divers...." and indeed we were. Thank you for all your efforts past present and future

~~~~~~~~~ Keep them coming ~~~~~~~~~
SDM 111

Very interesting
The video was taken in the US at the North East Diving Equipment Group (NEDEG) who have been around for over 20 years.

Note that she was wearing the US made Sea Tec- Inflatable Systems BIU & " SCUBA Pro or SCUBA Pro type" Jet fins

I was fascinated more by her equipment than her diving skills. interesting how the hood unsnapped

In David's pictures
Evidently pure Russian equipment in top
Russian and American equipment in the bottom : Jet fins, back pack & straps and a Heathways mouth piece ( Not a Hope -Page as some has Identified it)

I suspect all pictures were taken at the NEDEG labor (Labour) day meet

(David some day before my DOC (aka Date of Croaking ) I must tell you and Trapesus about Rory Page - He was an instructor buddy, neighbor and social friend. But what should be interesting to you as a Brit is that he was US AF fighter pilot who was shot down 3 times in 1942-3 & crashed landed in north sea once and in Jolly old England twice )

I also wrote an article about Rory about 20 or more years ago that was published in the HDS journal

Sad that Rory is no longer with us, but his mouth piece is.. ( and the uninformed are calling the Healtways a Hope Page )

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom