Russian Freighter / Whale Shark 7/1/2007 (redux)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Sunday we went out with Scuba Shack on their boat, the Wet Dream, to the Russian Freighter off Pensacola.
Beautiful day, calm seas. Water temp was a little cool on the bottom for a bathing suit, so I wore a half-mil :)

Octopus are curious above all else... they absolutely cannot stand to let something go uninvestigated. Here, one is emerging from its lair to see what that strange thing is invading its territory. You can judge his "confidence level" by his color... he flashes white when scared, turns a more "relaxed" brown when comfy, and gets dark when really confident.
whazat.jpg

Just gotta touch (and taste - the octopus has its taste buds in the suckers on its tentacles). Here it's sneaking a tentacle out to see what Cary's finger tastes like...
taste_test.jpg

Must've liked what it tasted. Here the octopus is totally confident and trying to yank Cary's finger into its lair. I laughed out loud as I watched the tug-o'-war :D
gimme_that_finger.jpg

The Lovely Young Kat & daughter Cary at the safety stop after an obviously delightful dive...
kat_and_cary_safety_stop.jpg

Whale Shark! After the dives, we got word of a Whale Shark near Johnson Beach, just west of Pensacola pass. Sure enough, there he was. Michelle Day took this picture that she titled "Tommy & Rick look on in shock & amazement at the Whale Shark off Pensacola 7/1/2007"
Well, it really was amazing. I guestimate it was a 30 footer.
tomrickws.jpg

Wonder in our own back yard, eh?
Gotta love it.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom