Rules of the Road

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarinersSchool

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Every day over the next week or two I am going to post some additional information on the Rules of the Road. This information should clarify any fuzzy facts you may have. It is also intended to start some talk amongst scubaboard.com members...

The purpose of the Rules is not to grant one boat the right-of-way over another, as is commonly thought... The idea of "right-of-way" fell out of favor with the Coast Guard as it became clear, through court cases, that avoiding a collision between two boats requires the participation of both parties. The purpose of the Rules is to present, in a situation where danger of collision between two boats exists, guidelines for the actions of both. Under the Rules, one boat is designated the "stand-on-vessel; the other the "give-way vessel". These designations carry obligations for each vessel to act in a specific way to avoid collision.

It is important to note that the Rules never address situations involving more than two boats. Whenever the possibility of collision exists between more than two boats, common sense must be your principle guide. These situations where more than two vessels are involved are called special circumstances.

If you are operating a vessel and it is not docked, on a mooring ball, at anchor, or attached to land by a line... Then the answer is YES!

The International Regulations for the Prevention of Collision at Sea (COLREGS) apply to all vessels, from kayaks to ocean going vessels, on all of the oceans and bodies of water outside the Demarcation lines which are indicated on charts using magenta (red) lines. They are also listed in the back of the Navigation Rules of the Road official publication.

The United States Inland Rules apply on the Great Lakes, Western Rivers, waterways, and specific bays inside the Demarcation Line.

Captain Bob, Welcome to the board and thanks for starting this thread.

I'm a diver and a sailor (starting back in the 1960s, in the English Channel). The Colregs are one of my favorite examples of successful international cooperation. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and interpretations.

A question: My Colregs book is US Coast Guard published, incorporating 1993 amendments and printed (I believe) in 1999. Is it still current except for the additoinal category of "wing-in-ground craft?" I think so, but this seems like a great place to ask.

A few ideas for future posts . . .
  • Maritime distaters that spurred development and adoption of the Rules
  • What the IMO does today
  • From a diver's perspective, you might be able to "start some talk amongst scubaboard.com members" with Rule 2, Resonsibility.

Best regards,
Bryan

According to the Coast Guard's website the current version of the Rules of the Road is COMDTIST M16672.2D. I believe that there are some minor changes to the Rules since your version was printed in 1999. The most important one that comes immediately to mind is Rule 33 which states:

Rule 33 (International)

(a) A vessel of 12 meters or more in length shall be provided with a whistle, a vessel of 20 meters or more in length shall be provided with a bell in addition to a whistle, and a vessel of 100 meters or more in length shall, in addition be provided with a gong, the tone and sound of which cannot be confused with that of the bell. The whistle, bell and gong shall comply with the specifications in Annex III to these Regulations. The bell or gong or both may be replaced by other equipment having the same respective sound characteristics, provided that manual sounding of the prescribed signals shall always be possible.

The difference being that I believe in your 1999 version that a vessel of 12 meters or more but less than 20 meters in length was also required to carry a bell. Note that in the current rule the bell requirement is omitted for vessels that are 12 meters or more, but less than 20 meters in length.

There are probably other differences but this is the first one that I though of...

It is also important for me to remind you that according to the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) requires that vessels 12 meters or more in length to have an up-to-date copy of the Rules aboard.

Perhaps this would be a good time to update your current copy...

Last edited:
Bryan,

Since you mentioned that you were a sailor here is a rule that many sailors and power boaters often become confused with...

Cruising sailors often "motorsail" - that is, they run their engines to assist the wind. Rule 25 requires that motorsailing sailboats (except those less than 12 meters, under Inland Rules) to display a cone, apex downward. Unfortunately, they rarely do so. You can usually tell that a boat is motorsailing by observing its exhaust. If you see cooling water cycling out of the exhaust, you can be sure that the engine is running.

Being able to make the distinction between "sailing" and "motorsailing" is important because, under the Rules, running the engine turns a sailboat into a power-driven vessel. Be careful when crossing paths with a motorsailor... Many sailors think that a sailboat is a "sailing vessel" as long as it has a mast and sails...

Everyone having to do with the operation of your boat from its owner, master (person in charge while underway), and crew is responsible for obeying the Rules, as well as for using caution, good sense, and good seamanship.

Rule #2 recognizes that no body of rules can address every possible situation that arises at sea. This rule requires you to use your experience, judgment, and the principle of "good Seamanship" to supplement the Rules or even to take action that may appear to conflict with the Rules in "special circumstances" if necessary to avoid a collision.

It is absolutely necessary to avoid collision while operating your boat, in fact, you are required to break the Rules if necessary to avoid a collision.

Among other things good seaman should:

1) Obey the Rules of the Road
2) Take the best possible actions to avoid a collision
3) Take the actions necessary to reduce the effects of a collision
Use the radiophone properly
4) Monitor weather reports
5) Ensure that all proper charts and navigational publications are on board prior to getting underway
6) Test your steering, communication equipment, etc. prior to getting underway
7) Know the maneuvering characteristics of your vessel
8) Give wide berth to anchored and moored vessels
9) Anchor in a safe area outside channels and fairways
10) Pay out enough anchor rode to avoid dragging

Extra precautions are required in times of "special circumstances." For example, a prudent mariner faced with low visibility and an unreliable radar may choose to remain anchored until repairs are complete or the conditions improve.

This is obviously not a complete list but should be a good food for thought starter...

Rule #2 mention "special circumstances." These special circumstances are subject to court interpretation, but include:

1) A vessel backing down
2) A power-driven vessel approaching a rowboat
3) A vessel not under command meeting a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver.
4) More than 2 vessels approaching with risk of collision
5) The extremis situation in which actions by both vessels is necessary in order to avoid a collision
6) The presence of shallow water or another vessel that makes it impossible for a vessel to maneuver as required
7) When action contrary to the Rules is proposed by one vessel and accepted by another

The sole purpose of the Rules is to prevent collisions at sea. Period... If following the Rules would result in a collision or other disaster, a mariner has a "duty to depart" from the Navigational Rules of the Road. This action can be taken only when the danger is immediate and only to the extent necessary to avoid the hazard.

Bryan,

Since you mentioned that you were a sailor here is a rule that many sailors and power boaters often become confused with...

Cruising sailors often "motorsail" - that is, they run their engines to assist the wind. Rule 25 requires that motorsailing sailboats (except those less than 12 meters, under Inland Rules) to display a cone, apex downward. Unfortunately, they rarely do so. You can usually tell that a boat is motorsailing by observing its exhaust. If you see cooling water cycling out of the exhaust, you can be sure that the engine is running.

Being able to make the distinction between "sailing" and "motorsailing" is important because, under the Rules, running the engine turns a sailboat into a power-driven vessel. Be careful when crossing paths with a motorsailor... Many sailors think that a sailboat is a "sailing vessel" as long as it has a mast and sails...

Sorry but that is not a positive indicator that a sailing vessel is motorsailing and should certainly not be used as a basis of deciding whether you are the stand on vessel or not.

Reasons for running your engine while sailing that have nothing to do with motor sailing:

Mundane - To charge batteries which we do often on passage etc.

Prudent - I always have the engine running but in neutral during any situation where I may need it at short notice to avoid a dangerous situation. I have no problem sailing back into harbour, along channels etc, after all it is a sailing yacht but prudence leads me to have the motor ready if there is a lot traffic about. Besides the batteries can always use more charge.

If in any doubt, hail the other vessel via radio or just simply give way/alter course in case.

My backround - RYA/MCA Ocean Yachtmaster & RYA Cruising Instructor.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom