Rules about Scavenging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mud Diver

Registered
Reaction score
I asked this on another message board but this would probably be a better place to ask this. I do a lot of diving in the TN River here in Chattanooga and there are a lot of cool things in the river to pull up, old bottles, do-dads and what nots. Does anyone know what the general rules are about gathering "stuff" in a dive? I have heard that in my area TVA has salvage rights to anything in the river and will confiscate anything valued over $100.00 if they hear about it. I have not been able to verify that information, and I am curious as to how to go about that in the right way. Being that the area that I dive in is of historical significance I do not want to damage anything or pull something out of the river that would be unlawful or damaging to the civil war artifacts and such that are there. However, I love scavenging around and looking for stuff. Any info on this? Thanks!!

Hey Mud,

I have a friend that works for TVA. He might know the answer. I'll post after I talk with him.

Beck

Mud Diver:
I asked this on another message board but this would probably be a better place to ask this. I do a lot of diving in the TN River here in Chattanooga and there are a lot of cool things in the river to pull up, old bottles, do-dads and what nots. Does anyone know what the general rules are about gathering "stuff" in a dive? I have heard that in my area TVA has salvage rights to anything in the river and will confiscate anything valued over $100.00 if they hear about it. I have not been able to verify that information, and I am curious as to how to go about that in the right way. Being that the area that I dive in is of historical significance I do not want to damage anything or pull something out of the river that would be unlawful or damaging to the civil war artifacts and such that are there. However, I love scavenging around and looking for stuff. Any info on this? Thanks!!

I appriciate it, I found an e-mail contact at the TN Dept of Environment and Conservation, they may be able to get me going in the right direction. Thanks!

Hey Mud,

My buddy at TVA basically agrees with you on TVA's rights to claim stuff.

However he doesn't know the details.

Send an email to TVAINFO@TVA.GOV and you can get more information.

Thanks, Beck

I would never argue with a governments rights to claim whatever they want, if they don't claim it then they tax you to the point that you'll give it up! :)

well.....taxation WITHOUT representation wasnt too good...

I am not finding taxation WITH representation to be any better.

I think we mistake having Representatives with being represented.

RICHinNC:
well.....taxation WITHOUT representation wasnt too good...

I am not finding taxation WITH representation to be any better.

LOL. That was a good one. That made my morning. Just in case you didn't know about this:

www.fairtax.org

Let's just hope this happens sometime soon. Brilliant plan... Liberals will most likely fight to the death over this one.

divebomb:
Hey Mud,

My buddy at TVA basically agrees with you on TVA's rights to claim stuff.

However he doesn't know the details.

Send an email to TVAINFO@TVA.GOV and you can get more information.

Thanks, Beck

Yeah, you shouldn't try and "steal" something from the river. The government HATES competition! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom