Rude, $-grubbing Local Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ringmod65

Contributor
Reaction score
I am posting to this forum as my poor experiences with local dive shops have kept me from progressing past "new diver" status.

I am very curious as to fellow diver's lds experiences. Perhaps it is just the luck of the draw, but I have had great difficulty in locating a lds that treats me in a fashion that would engender good will and keep me as a return customer. In the interest of fairness (which in my opinion these businesses do not deserve) I will not specifically name any particular lds. I'm not just looking to vent: I am also interested in good experiences people have had with shops in the nj / ny area.

An overview:

1. When my wife and I were first certified NAUI OW I some sixteen years ago, we did out training through a NYC-based chain of dive shops. Attracted by the enormous sign in the window advertising "SCUBA CERTIFICATION - ONLY $99!!!," we signed up and left the shop about eight hundred bucks poorer after masks / fins / snorkels / logbooks / gear bags, etc. No biggie, we're city folk and used to such scams. During the pool sessions we discover that one of the instructors has obvious anger management problems and screams and yells at students for not mastering skills as quickly as he thinks they should. We're talking borderline psychosis here. It got so bad that my wife wanted to drop right out of the class. Our beach dives (Rockaway Inlet) were a nightmare: every other group present that day called the checkout dives, except for our shop, which insisted that we proceed with our dives in what I now know to be extremely dangerous conditions. Our boat dives were worse. The instructor tied my wife up in monofilament and had her cut herself loose - I now know that this is nuts at best. On the same dive: a) one divemaster came up with my wife's knife (she lost it cutting herself loose) tucked into the sleeve of his wetsuit (he denied that it belonged to my wife); and b) one divemaster didn't make it back to the boat and needed to be rescued. At least we were certified, though my wife had already lost any desire to continue diving.

2. After many years away from diving (disgusted and landlocked), I picked a lds at random to do a refresher with. The refresher went fine, I actually liked the instructor, and the shop had a nice vibe so I signed up for AOW and the drysuit specialty, which they pushed on me. This course was an exercise in pure misery. The lead instructor was an insulting witch from the get-go. She ridiculed students, pushed all sorts of unnecessary gear on the class and refused any additional help and clarification for those students that needed it. The weekend long checkout dives were a nightmare. The instructors had a terrible habit of bad mouthing (I mean really nasty stuff) individual students with little concern as to who might be listening. It got so bad that I finally turned to the three instructors and asked them if they understood that I was standing three feet away from them and heard every last insult. They ignored me and continued. Their extreme lack of planning (and rental of faulty equipment) resulted in the separation of me and another diver during a night dive and a long surface swim for me in a flooded drysuit - an experience so terrifying that I quit diving for another several years. Finally, upon returning my rental drysuit (they wouldn't let me return at the dive site, but made me drive the suit back the following day) they demanded extra payment because the suit was wet. I informed them that they were lucky I didn't sue them for providing substandard equipment and instruction. I once again gave up on a hobby that I otherwise enjoyed due to the high concentration of flakes and greedy jerks that seemed to characterize the sport. I have never run across an activity with a higher a$$#013 quotient, except perhaps the music industry. I didn't dive again for several years.

3. Determined not to let a couple of bad apples spoil my fun, I once again attempted a return to diving this past summer. Thinking the problem may be related to geography, I did a refresher dive with an out-of-state lds that would have been a bargain at twice the price. These people struck me as motivated first by a love of diving with only a secondary interest in making bank. Unfortunately, this lds was too remote from me to pursue any training. Instead I concentrated on doing as much diving as I could - finding a buddy on another diving board and hitting the quarry several times. As I acquired the gear necessary to make myself self-sufficient and no longer dependent on any rental equipment, I needed a visual inspection and valve installation on a new cylinder. I figured that this would be a good opportunity to check out yet another lds not too too far from where I live. I fully expected a good experience at this shop in light of positive feedback that I read on SB. I had hoped that this was something that could be taken care of as I waited as it was not convenient for me to make another trip. That wasn't possible as the owner and most of the staff were away on a diving trip and wouldn't be back for several days. I explained exactly what I needed (vip and din valve installed) to the hapless yet friendly fellow manning the shop for the day. When I called back five days later, nobody was able to tell me the status of my job. I called back the next day and was told that I could pick up my tank over the weekend. When I returned to the shop to pick up my gear, I was met with the surliest, rudest jerk-off that I have run across in quite some time. Seriously, it would have been a smoother transaction had he just flipped me the bird and told me to "screw off" as soon as i entered the store. A few weeks later I discovered that the shop didn't even punch the vip sticker correctly resulting in my being refused fills. Great. Rude and incompetent.

Having decided that I did want to do some training over the summer, I once again began to search for a suitable lds. As I work in Manhattan (and have had terrible luck with nj lds's), I decided it would be more convenient to study with a nyc-based shop. This weekend I completed my rescue diver checkout dives and had a really good experience. The instructors were down to earth, approachable and qualified. I just wish that the shop was more convenient for my regular lds needs.

Am I the only one to find that the lds industry is largely composed of rude, money-grubbing, sleazemerchants? Care to prove me wrong in the form of a recommendation of a decent lds operation in nnj? I'd love to have my opinion changed.

Thanks.

Wow, my experience with the LDS I certified with was the polar opposite of yours. Our OW instructors and DMs were thorough, patient and a pleasure to deal with, unfortunately driving up to Ottawa may be somewhat impractical for you.

I may have some issues with local pricing of scuba gear but none with the quality of service I've received.

I am sorry that you have had such a poor experience with lds. I have had good relations with dive shops in virginia, alabama, florida, california, and alaska (starting 25 years ago and continuing through yesterday) and while it can be trying at times, I have not had the problems that you describe. I knew what instruction and equipment combined cost up front, repairs have been handled efficiently and accurately, and they have usually been friendly all while trying to make a profit in a changing market. I have seen a heel or two as an instructor but never really had one as an instructor.

Hmmm ... sounds very familiar since I live in NJ. I've only had to deal with three LDS so far and a couple of them I've been doing business with for a few months. I'm very happy with one but the other one I go to just because it's more convenient but have yet to have a bad experience although I can foresee having a problem there but that remains to be seen. For the most part, the instructors that I've dealt with have been good if not great and I've yet to run into any characters that you've described. Hopefully it stays that way. :)

Sorry you had to post that. I had that type of dive shop training experience once, in the 1970's. Those guys are long gone.

What has worked for me and my family ever since is to get training from instructors that are not associated with dive shops. An instructor who can do it without gear-related income is usually a darned good one. Then you can pick the dive retailer based upon the prices and service they offer. You can get the best of both worlds, which would be harder to find at a small dive retailer.

Hang in and keep on diving.

Ringmod65, sorry to hear you've had such bad experiences. I have dealt with 3 dive shops in NJ and have nothing but good things to say about them. All in the Central/North Central part of the state. At a 4th that I don't personally go to, I know the owners and have heard nothing but good things about them.

I can only speak from my own personal experience, but fortunately for me, I have a very different view of the NJ diving world then you and Sixgears (although sixgears seems happy with the Scuba Connection. I've heard good things about them as well.)

JR

I know exactly what you mean. My advice find an independent instructor that does the style of diving you like. I do research and see what other people are using and what works for me and then purchase everything online.

I was almost ripped off multiple times while trying to buy a regulator locally. Now, my LDS is leisurepro.com or scubatoys.com :)

Sorry to hear things have gone so bad for you. I do have to admire your "stick- to- itiveness" to stay with the sport in spite of the problems you've had.. In my area there are only 2 shops within reasonable distances. 1 is 10 min from my house & the other 1hr away. I have chosen to go with the shop 1hr away. Both shops & the instructors are top notch (in their own perspectives) in my book. Both shops have excellent instructors & are reasonably priced in goods & services. The reason I have gone with the less convenient shop is that the shop 10 min. away from my house offered a Dive Master course that was postponed multiple times, thus tying up almost 6mos of a year waiting for it to start. The other shop offered one & started it at the time promised. I have also gone with the further away shop because I have taken an interest in technical diving & nearly every type of technical diving is offered there along with the recreational side. The shop close to my house is strictly recreational. You have to wonder why people have to be rude & impolite to try to get their points across. There's no excuse. You attract many more flies with honey than vinegar.

I enjoy a great LDS, but it takes a little work on both sides to build a relationship. I would never work with the public (I'm so blessed to be a free lance writer!) because there are a lot of angry, mean people out there! I've witnessed some rather abusive interactions while out shopping and I just don't understand why some people get so nasty. If one starts yelling in a store, it's time to go home!

That said, we visit a lot of dive shops since we travel a lot and enjoy checking out dive shops. On the whole, I've found that when I enter most dive shops I'm pretty much ignored. Often if I ask a question, the person in the shop acts like I've interupted something more important. I've asked about trips and equipment and really don't get any attention unless I place an item at the check out. However, this is not unique to dive shops, but many different kinds of retailer.

I sometimes make a calm, friendly comment if I find the shop not helpful or friendly. Sometimes the bad attitude changes, sometimes not. I spend money mainly at my LDS because the staff is friendly, helpful, and do go out of their way to greet me when I enter the shop. Some of that good service maybe because I spend money there, but I also think some of it is that I go out of my way to be kind and friendly when I shop there.

Just my 2 cents...

Sorry you've had bad experiences, I will not spend a dime at any retailer who is rude, unhelpful, or unattentive. I'd rather find the item online or at another retailer.

Based on some of what I've read on these boards, some instructors are obnoxious and abrasive because they're following a military-type training mentality. They're using the shouting and insulting to create a stress situation, in order to help the student learn how to perform the necessary exercises under duress. The theory is, if you can't handle it in the pool with nothing but an instructor yelling at you, how are you going to handle a real emergency in the ocean when your life, and/or the life of your dive buddy, is at stake? Military and police training are designed to ingrain in the students the need to act appropriately despite any stress or fear they might feel; hesitation can be a recipe for disaster, and in diving, the same can often be true.

There's some merit to that theory, and an instructor screaming at the student is probably a reasonable substitute for the student's lungs screaming at him during a real open water situation. The trouble is, the instructor really can't explain that to the students ahead of time, lest they take the training situations less seriously - knowing it's a game - and thereby nullify the whole point of the exercise.

As far as businesses go, all businesses need to turn a profit to stay in business. Some realize the best way to do this is to take such good care of their customers, that the customers WANT to come back. Others adopt the short-term solution and focus on profit NOW, regardless of whether the customer leaves happy or not. Sadly, too many businesses today have forgotten that their employees are representatives of the business, and that snarky, rude, surly, or complacent employees reflect poorly on the business as a whole. It only takes one nasty experience to write a business off our patronage list, even if all the other employees are fantastic.

All the more reason when we DO find a business that takes care of us and treats us well, that we return the favor and patronize them. Spending a bit more on supplies locally rather than getting them cheaper online is worth it to keep a good shop in business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom