Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, there are only two types of the divers who want to zip from one structure to the next - first, those who don't know any better and are therefore only interested in the big colorful thing that sticks out in their face and second, dive masters who know that if the guests a swimming their butts off from one area to the next, the dives will end sooner and everyone will get home sooner.

I agree with the rest of your post as well but I'd like to add one more cause of divers Zipping about. Divers who are not weighted correctly and have poor bouyancy will fin to maintain their position in the water. If they stop finning the will sink or start floating so not knowing how to correct it.. they fin. Of course they go through more gas, tire quicker etc and the cattle car can get back to pick up the next load.

why is everyone complaining about DMs, groups and photographers?

When did diving become a "group sport"? I claim you are doing it wrong if you have these types of issues.

My buddy and I dive as a team. No DM needed. No group allowed. Mostly because i am one of those slow poke photographers. we both like macro stuff, so we go slow and easy. sometimes extremely slow.

We refuse to dive anywhere a DM or group is required. We never have these types of problems.

If you want to dive in some areas a DM is not an option but a legal requirement.

It depends on the group. We have a Regular dive group but it is a "Closed group". If we all turn up there would be 7 of us in the water all but one with cameras. All experienced divers respectful of each other and the environment. More eyes in the water to spot things and help each other. We have designated buddies but we try to keep an eye out for everyone. We may fragment but we all make sure we don't just see one of a buddy pair/threesome.

We know each other well, what everyone is interested in, what kind of subjects they like, what their cameras are capable of taking etc. We share emails of pics later and give each other suggestions/pointers feedback. Some are really expert at Identifying creatures, some better at finding things.

When we find a subject the finder gets first option, others will move in alongside leaving the critter an escape route forming an arc. We watch each others flashes and take turns taking pics. When one has had enough the group shift position so someone else can join in. Everyone gets their chance as long as the subject is willing and people are careful to avoid scaring or silting. It works beautifully. We get to socialize, share our experiences and having a group of that size means there is a reasonable chance that at least one or two will be available to dive when conditions are good. We primarily shore dive but sometimes go on dive trips together.

The reason we "Closed the group" was that the dive shop started inviting their newly qualified divers to join us! The other reason is that some other photographers decided they could just turn up and join in. These people did not share the diving style of the group. One dive ruined by the group aborting the dive and launching a search when a diver just decided to wander off on his own, another when one decided to abandon his buddy on a dive where we had declared "tight buddy pairs" due to poor viz. "Tight buddy pairs" was clearly explained in the dive plan (we are going in together but it will be hard to keep track of each other so stay tight to your buddy so we know if the group splits everyone still has their buddy).

Even the dive guide was irritated by their non-coporated actions!

Maybe somebody should sit the DM down and explain what a customer is.

This couple won't careless anyone else.

It sounds to me like you're the self-centered one who thinks the dive was all about what you wanted. You had one plan and they had another. That's frequently how it works when strangers get on the same dive boat. If you want to go out on a boat with strangers and dive the way you want to and you're required to stay with a DM you've got two options. One is to make sure everybody else has the same plan as you. The other is to hire your own DM. You know, just like you think the other people should do.

Maybe somebody should sit the DM down and explain what a customer is.

It sounds to me like you're the self-centered one who thinks the dive was all about what you wanted. You had one plan and they had another. That's frequently how it works when strangers get on the same dive boat. If you want to go out on a boat with strangers and dive the way you want to and you're required to stay with a DM you've got two options. One is to make sure everybody else has the same plan as you. The other is to hire your own DM. You know, just like you think the other people should do.

What is a customer? Not above everything and certainly NOT right all the time.
If I am self-centred I would have complainted to the dive shop but I just joined other group.

There is ONLY one plan if there is a guide. The guide is THE boss and he/she decides how the dive proceed NOT the paying customers. Of course I have my own plan which is follow the guide.

Centrals,
Disagree - DM sets the general parameters of the dive which I will follow.
If the DM starts to do something stupid those params change and my behaviour changes accordingly. The DM is not responsible for my diving, I am.

Centrals,
Disagree - DM sets the general parameters of the dive which I will follow.
If the DM starts to do something stupid those params change and my behaviour changes accordingly. The DM is not responsible for my diving, I am.
IF

In every trade there will be black sheep. Dive shop, DM and instructor do lose their licences when they were found guilty of professional misconduct.

In my case the couple refused to pay any notice to the request of the dm!

Last edited:
Centrals,
I'm not saying that divers should ignore the DM - What I am arguing against is that the DM's plan is the only plan. I want the DM to give a general idea of where we're going, depths, hazards, nice things to see.

99% of the time I comply with that but if I need to rest or see something different or even assist someone I may diverge from what the DM is doing - where possible I shall try to communicate that to the DM.

What I will not do is blindly follow the DM - I don't think you mean that but your post sounds as if you are advocating this (that's what it sounds like to me at least)

Centrals,
I'm not saying that divers should ignore the DM - What I am arguing against is that the DM's plan is the only plan. I want the DM to give a general idea of where we're going, depths, hazards, nice things to see.

99% of the time I comply with that but if I need to rest or see something different or even assist someone I may diverge from what the DM is doing - where possible I shall try to communicate that to the DM.

What I will not do is blindly follow the DM - I don't think you mean that but your post sounds as if you are advocating this (that's what it sounds like to me at least)
A proper pre-dive briefing should have covered everything that you suggested. If the guide is given less than satisfactory briefing then you should take notice or raise the question immediately. However, there is such a thing as "in water up-date" which might alter the plan completely.
I am not advocating "follow the leader" approach but there are certain requirements that the divers should observe. But unfortunately, there will be divers who think otherwise.

... And back on topic... what other rude behaviors have people run into on Boat dives :eyebrow:

On a a liveboard, men from a group that was hardly talking to non members of their club coming to the eating table bare chested. Declined to change behavior, even if requested by other divers: "too hot" :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom