Rubatex or slick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voln

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning to get my first wetsuit and did some research on www.diverlink.com and they seem to highly recommend getting one in rubatex neoprene - does anyone own a wetsuit made of this material and is it really better? Also, none of the sites I visited seem to have suits that are made of rubatex and also have the slick linings (like Henderson Gold or liquidfit's) that make getting in and out easier - anyone know of a manufacturer that includes both? I would prefer a custom-made one.

Thanks! V.

From what I've read the advantage to Rubatex is that it is more
compression resistant than *cheaper* brands of neoprene. With
that said, I have no experience with it but Halycon carries
a wetsuit that is made of Rubatex.

If you are going to use a wetsuit for a lot of diving, I'd buy the
best material available, NO "plush" lining and just powder or
"ky jelly" that bad larry so it will be easier to don.

Thanks GM - I'll def. check Halcyon out.

V.:jester:

After a lot of research on the computer I thought Rubatex was the way to go. Then talking with divers I know, I got a different opinion.
I have an instructor/ freind who had a custom Rubatex suit made. It was expensive. He says it is to stiff of a material, so it doesn't move with you the way it should. Because of this it will "pump" water.
He told me the best wetsuits he has found (says he's tried a lot)are made by Bare.

I took his advice, I own 2 Bare wetsuits now(3/2 and 5/3) and plan on getting a 7 mil soon(if I can't swing a drysuit). I like them a lot!

Leisure Pro sells Bare wetsuits for a lot less than most.

Hope this helps :)

Originally posted by Tavi
I have an instructor/ freind who had a custom Rubatex suit made. It was expensive. He says it is to stiff of a material, so it doesn't move with you the way it should. Because of this it will "pump" water.
Rubatex is a brand name. They have different grades of neoprene. You should read the information on diverlink.com. It may be that your instructor friend had wetsuit made from Rubatex R-1400, which is pretty stiff.

Even so, proper fit and cut would prevent pumping. The information on Diverlink talks about things like gussets under arms and the design of suits that allow more flexibiity. It take a lot more than good material to make a good wetsuit.

I have read the Information on Diverlink. That was part of the research I was talking about. It was a "Custom" (made to fit) suit. It was the better grade of Rubatex (G-231-N) and yes I am aware that Rubatex is a brand name.

I'm just sharing one of my experiences.

Believe whatever you want to.

PS. Please fill out your user profile, we don't know anything about you, unless you tell us. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom