Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filauri

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'm a n Instructor, going on a cruise with my wife and baby boy this is my itinerary San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Croix, Barbados; Santa Lucía; Antigua;, St. Maarten; only hace one day for diving which port do you recommend.[/FONT]

Sounds like my honeymoon cruise years ago. Someone else can probably give a more specific answer, but from what I've seen and read, I'd say:

1.) Antigua & St. Martin don't seem to have a strong rep. for diving.

2.) I stayed at the Hyatt Dorado a few days, and my wife & I dove 2 tanks off Eastern Puerto Rico with 'Sea Ventures' out of Fjardo (? spelling) if memory serves, but our guide picked us up and it was a long drive to get there. I don't know how good op.s out of San Juan on a tight schedule would be. Viz. was good but not great where we dove.

3.) I know some people dive St. Lucia and like it. I haven't; need a rain forest walking tour there.

4.) Haven't dove Barbados; did a catamaran snorkeling with sea turtles excursion there. We thought the drunks were 'seeing fairies' on the way back until we realized we were seeing flying fish gliding above water periodically on the trip back.

I suspect you'll be doing St. Lucia or Barbados when all is said and done.

Richard.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2012 at 03:10 PM ----------

Sorry: not as easy to see post I'm replying to using TapaTalk on an iPhone. St. Croix is reputable for diving, so that might be your option, too.

Finding out what other things there are to do at those 3 likely destinations may clinch it for you.

Richard.

Hello from St. Croix! :)

I cannot comment on the other locations listed but I can give a few recommendations for St. Croix!
I am a instructor for St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures (SCUBA). We have a dive boat on the West end of the island (where the cruise ship comes in) and on the other side, the North shore. Diving on the West end offers calm seas, healthy gradual sloping reefs, and a series of wrecks. Plus, it's extremely easy to walk off the cruise ship and on to a dive boat on the same pier! The North shore (a 20 minute taxi ride over) is known for the wall for the first dive and gradual sloping reefs for the second dive.
SCUBA is not the contracted dive operation for the cruise ship. We try to keep our business a little more personalized versus going for the "cattle operation."
If you would like to read what divers have to say, you can check us out on Trip Advisor or look around our website; www.stcroixscuba.com
If it means anything... I came here on a dive trip and never left! :wink:

I hope to see a post back on where you end up diving, even if it's not with us or in St. Croix! I hope you have a great trip with your family.

Happy diving!

I'm a n Instructor, going on a cruise with my wife and baby boy this is my itinerary San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Croix, Barbados; Santa Lucía; Antigua;, St. Maarten; only hace one day for diving which port do you recommend.

Skip SJ. It's pretty much always stirred up there. I've never seen good viz.

Barbados was OK. but I'd go with St. Croix or St. Marten

FWIW, I seem to get skunked on the weather about half the time on St. Marten. Maybe bad luck, maybe strange weather.

flots.

+1 Skip San Juan

I did my AOW in San Juan before a cruise and the only diving is in a lagoon close to the Hilton. Most of the diving that I saw was from Fajardo, but like it was mentioned earlier about a 60-90 minute car ride (if memory serves me well). If you haven't seen it before, in San Juan I would take the castle tour and visit old town. If you are there at night maybe yu might have time to check out one of the three Bioluminescent Bays, these are really cool to see. We did a two tank dive at Fajardo and then at night did a bio-tour.

My cruise went to other ports where we dived than your goes to, but we did dive St. Lucia.

St. Lucia was very storming the day we were in port and I hurt my ribs the day before surfing in Barbados so I called off my dive and stayed on the boat while my daughter dove the harbor. She said it was ok, nothing special. But I agree that the transition from the Cruise ship to the Dive Operator was very convenient, but as diversteve mentioned, leave the harbor and see something better.

Have fun on what ever you do do...

~Michael~

Had a former high school student (now in her late 40s) take a cruise on the RC Adventure of the Seas recently. She loved it but is a non-diver so she only snorkeled. I've only dived the western Caribbean so I can't offer any personal recommendations. Enjoy your trip.

When do you depart? I'm doing the same cruise leaving Feb 10... I just made a post with the same question haha. I'm really pumped for this cruise, it will be a nice mix of diving and pure relaxation

Okay I see that all my posts on this board have disappeared! Why would that have happened?
There was a problem with the database so everything after 12/21 was lost.

On 12/21 the world did not end, but somehow our database suffered an un-repairable corruption. I spent countless hours over the past few days trying to restore our Article section and fix the corrupted data. I, with the aid of vBulletin technical support, were unable to repair the tables.

The database has been rolled back to our 12/21 backup, which is before the article section of the site was impacted.

Unfortunately, any posts, messages, changes to your account, and users who registered during that period will be lost. If you did register during that time, I'm very sorry to say you'll have to re-register.

I'm terribly sorry that this was the only solution to the problem.

Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.

Back
Top Bottom