Rough first weekend on/in the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teufelhunden

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First time poster, but after reading many of the near misses and accident threads, wanted to offer an experience from my weekend taking my wife on her first post-cert dives...

She passed her PADI OW cert on Saturday. On Sunday we dove off the S.C. Coast on an artificial reef at 60'. Eight minuted into the dive, in limited visability, she had a problem with the rental BC - mostly from unfamiliarity/poor design and inflated, rather than deflated her BC, sending her rocketing off the bottom. With low-vis (less than 10'), she lost sight of me, and the bottom before she could correct. As a brand new diver, on her first ocean dive and 11 miles from shore, she was split from her buddy (me) and without references under water. Rather than freak out, or swim around in circles, she followed lost buddy/off-wreck procedure and did a controlled ascent. (I popped up about 90 seconds behind)

Two days later, we went on another dive, this time a Civil War era blockade runner wreck at 55'. On the first dive descent, 25' down, her weight belt fell off. Thankfully she was going hand over hand on the line.
Again, rather than panic, she held on with one hand and began banging her tank to get my attention. I returned to her, saw the problem, signalled I would retrieve the belt and did so. On my return, she calmly took the weight belt and put it back on (something that absolutly drove her nuts doing in the pool).

I know none of these things are major events, but several posting have alluded to how new divers don't really know how to handle themselves/need training and offer this as an example of the great job some instructors are doing at preparing their students for the moment when the dive won't go according to plan.

Ironically, my wife feels more comfortable diving now that she has had issues on two of her first four dives. As she puts it, "Now I know that things happen at depth. it is part of the experience. if something serious happens on a future dive, I will not be afraid of it, because I will always be expecting something to "go wrong".

Thanks for posting and welcome to the board!

Sounds like you both are comfortable enough in the water that, when things go south, you remain composed. Good on you both!

Yeah, rental gear sucks. Nothing like having your own gear that becomes so familiar that manipulating it is second nature.

I nearly did the same thing (inadvertant inflation)... previous BC's I ve used had the inflation button near the connection, and deflation valve near the end of the home, usually the buttons are on different sides (90 degrees difference). this BC has them next to each other, the inflation button was round and the delfation was an angled long bar.
As I said, inexperience with the equipment and (IMHO) poor design...

I was just impressed that as nervous as she was, the trianing she recieved and the drills she had to do worked, they surfaced in her mind when things didn't go right - but that's the point of training, right?

I sure was proud of her... especially given how nervous she was (and sea sick) before jumping off the boat.

Again, from the way she explained it, her instructor did a really good job, because each time, "his voice just popped into my head" she said later.

Glad things turned out ok for her....I've always said when people think, they'll be ok......but, that's the problem, some people just don't have it between the left and right ear........

I'm just loving the that she is now the one who wants us to take Nitrox and AOW, buy gear and go diving all summer...

Welcome to the board and thanks for posting..
Guess this also answers a bit to all the people saying that weight belts never come off while integrated weights always fall out :p (sorry for the sidetrack)

Glad everything went well and sounds like you got a great buddy. Kudos to her. I've lost both weightbelts and my ditchable pockets from my BC. The main difference is when i lost the belt I went to a barely controlled ascent. Since I had weights in my trim pockets I was able to continue the dive after losing the ditchable weights although I was positively buoyant the whole dive and exhausted my air a lot faster than I normally do.

AL

Back
Top Bottom