Rotating Spare Regulators Into Regular Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see the G260 has an adjustment on the purge that basically puts it in "storage mode" and supposedly extends the time in storage between service events?
Yes, as has been mentioned already, a push and a twist puts it in storage mode and pushing the purge inward releases it. No, it is impossible for it to lock in use. As to extending service intervals, that depends upon the desire to get the parts for life if qualified. In which case it just maintains the performance for the two year service interval, if not, then yes it would extend the service interval for seat replacement.

James

I may get the Scubapro boys after me but I am going to say this. I have used several new Scubapro regulators including my two new G260s (Mark 17) and every one of them needed to be adjusted to get best performance. On the other hand, I have bought three new AL regs over the more recent years and they were not in need of any adjustment. Now, to be clear, the Scubapros were fine, not dangerous or anything like that, but they were not set to perform as they should.

I may get the Scubapro boys after me but I am going to say this. I have used several new Scubapro regulators including my two new G260s (Mark 17) and every one of them needed to be adjusted to get best performance. On the other hand, I have bought three new AL regs over the more recent years and they were not in need of any adjustment. Now, to be clear, the Scubapros were fine, not dangerous or anything like that, but they were not set to perform as they should.
Were they too tight or too loose?

Were they too tight or too loose?
As usual I am off subject and wandering in the desert. They were all too stiff, higher than optimal cracking force, at the very high end of spec or even out of spec. I took my two G260s down, with only a few dives on them. Cleaned and relubed, set the cracking force per the MM and then readjusted such that they were on the verge of free flow with the knob fully out. They breath fantastic now, almost as good as a 40 years old G250 :wink:.

I may get the Scubapro boys after me but I am going to say this. I have used several new Scubapro regulators including my two new G260s (Mark 17) and every one of them needed to be adjusted to get best performance.
There was a time, when most every regulator that came into the shop that I had worked, regardless of brand, was off or way off, both in terms of IP and cracking effort. It was a pleasant surprise if a few didn't require adjustment.

It always remained a bit of a mystery . . .

My process has been test the ip and use it until it acts up then grab another.. that way when it's time to rebuild I have a few to do at once.

I always have spares with me to swap out if needed, but I'm too lazy to switch hoses and everything over just to rotate it in for a few dives.

Not really answering your question but my solution was to learn DIY, find a reliable source of parts and travel with regs simple enough I can service on the back of a rocking boat with minimal tools in less than 20mins. In my previous richer life I had multiple reg sets but found most would just go unused. I realise this is not a solution for most though, but if you can...

Every new SP second stage I've bought without exception has been way out of spec and I'm not talking one or two but multiples of 10.

Back
Top Bottom