Rosario Islands, Colombia: Verdict?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naga

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anybody got any recent diving experience of the Rosario Islands off Cartagena, Colombia?

I may be going there in the next few weeks/months and am after opinions regarding quality of diving, operators,etc...

horror stories are most welcome..

muchas gracias

The best sites are not actually at the Islas del Rosario but either out to sea from Bocagrande ("Burbujas" is the best site in the area, nice coral, clear water then a drop off down to 135ft with groupers and a shark if you are lucky), or at Baru Island on the way to the Islas. The best sites at Baru are "Imelda" and "Montanita", two underwater mountains with the tops at about 50ft and you can circle them. Reef fish on the top, shoals of creole wrasse and horse-eye jacks off to the sides.

We always went with "La Tortuga" dive school when we lived in Cartagena. We spent a year diving every few weeks with them. If you have time, fly to San Andres (direct 1hr flight from Cartagena) for even better diving. Any questions let us know.

thx for that...

which operator did you use for Cartagena?

Also, please tell me about San Andres; do you recommend any specific operator?

gracias in advance...

In Cartagena the dive school we always went with was "La Tortuga" (La Tortuga Dive School - Cartagena, Colombia). There are 4 or 5 other schools in town.

In San Andres we did our open water with Buzos del Caribe and returned 6 months later to dive again with them. There are 5 or 6 other outfits on the island, all probably just as good. If you make it as far as Providencia then we would recommend Felipe (everyone knows him on the island).

Visibility, animal life and variety of dive sites are all much better in San Andres & Providencia than in Cartagena or Taganga / Santa Marta, the other place most people go on the mainland coast.

thanks for that..

waht do you know about an outfit called 'Diving Planet'?

They reporteldy have ops in Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena, but their shop is not at the address in Bogota where they say it is...

heard of them?

Dived with Diving Planet in Cartagena just over a year ago and would thoroughly recommend them - really good operation, I did my rescue diver course with them and they were very thorough, all the instructors we dealt with were excellent. Can't comment on their Bogota operation though.

I would agree with fluffyandsilvia the San Andres and Providence are better dive sites tha cartagana. thay are alos correct about all the dive op there are about the same and all good. If you want the personalized service I would recomend Jorge Sanchez he is a freelance instructo and knows all th dive ops so he always goes with the cheapest to get you the best prices. wis websiet is 2oceanos - Home
I also have 2 trips planed for providence if you would like to join one of them.
ciao
Tad

Dear FluffyandSilvia,
I am going to San Andres next december and till now the simplest accomodation i have found is 100,000 C.pesos per night. Is it true that there are no hostels or low budget accomodation on the island?
Providencia was even more expensive. I'm looking forwrd to going but I can't understand why there is such a difference in prices from these islands to the main land and not sure if i'm being taken for a ride or not :) I usually travel around asia and although there are the high end accomodation there is usually a choice.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom