Rolling gear bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

valligurl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm concerned about the 50 lb limit for baggage. We've always packed our gear in one large bag. Then our clothes in another. It was just easier to have two large bags. So, now I guess we'll have three. One gear bag for each of us and our clothes in another suitcase. I need to find a rolling gear bag for one. I want a well made bag that won't be too big and will carry ONE set of gear. Any suggestions? I also carry a laptop, two cameras, (one underwater and a land camera) Then the overnight bag....I feel totally overwhelmed with all the luggage. HELP!!

Unfortually the airlines are enforcing the bag limits these days. I ran into that problem on several flights this past summer.

you've got two choices in roller bags. Ones with lots of external pockets and ones that just have one huge main pocket. Both typically have a side fin pocket thought. People like both based on their preferences.

The ones with lots of external pockets offer many places to put stuff and often include a regulator pocket for example. However, this is 5 or 6 pockets that you have to buy those TSA locks for. (And those TSA approved locks are $10 bucks each). Also putting your regulator in that external regulator pocket will just cause it to be crushed, especially by airline handlers throwing baggage on top of it.

I prefer the ones with one large middle pocket. (and of course the side fin pocket). This allows you one huge space to use for whatever you want. It also is only one pocket that needs a TSA lock.

What I'd look for is a bag with heavy duty zipper, re-enforced corners and sraps/webbing, a hard plastic bottom (keeps bag from sagging when being pulled) and an extendable roller handle.

Some people like having backpack straps for carrying over surfaces it can't be rolled over. Also consider the weight of the bag empty. XS-Scuba makes a really nice looking roller bag and I looked at it last weekend at my LDS. However when I picked it up, that bag must have weight 15 pounds or more empty. Seeing that your limit of gear is 50 lbs per bag for the airlines, this really lmited what you could put in it.

I've got the Gator-Max roller bag and I really like it. I'd highly reccomend it. However, it seems to be a hard bag to find (in a store). I think its made by ScubaBax, but apparantly the manufactur doesn't make them but a few times a year and it's hard to find.

My wife and I just got back from 10 days in Bonaire. You are right it is
quite easy to run up the 50lb limit. You have to be pretty careful
if you have a large bag. I don't think using 1 big bag for 2 divers
is going to work anymore.

We ended up traveling with 1 checked bag and 1 carryon
and 1 personal item (each) on the way out and 2 checked bags
and 1 item on the way back.

We didn't go with SCUBA specific bags because there are lots
of nice roller duffles out there for way less than the
scuba ones, Plus we wanted bags to use for non scuba trips
as well.

We avoid locks all together. Simply use zip ties. They
are cheap. Just make sure to carry your nail clippers in your pocket or carryon
bags to ensure you can get into your bags when you arrive.
TSA will cut the zip ties if they need to. If they cut them
they will replace them.

We used this for our carryons: ebags.com Weekend Convertible
Its a great soft bag that can really be stuffed. No wheels but
it does have multiple handles and backpack straps. Its got lots of storage
and done quite nicely.
I used this for my main gear: Samsonite Roller Duffle
This bag was great. The side pockets are large enough for my BIO fins.
The bag is quite large (more than enough room). I didn't have to worry about being super neat or cramming stuff in. and ran it up to 45lbs without the bag being completely full.
My wife used the Columbia Storm Chaser I (older version)
for her gear.

All of that being said I think the new rules are simply to get
and extra $25 out of travelers. The new rule is 50lb but you can
pay an extra $25 if you bag is between 50-70lb on most
flights (Check first). Just don't go over 70lb or it can get
real expensive.

After lugging all the bags, I think it might have been worth
it to pay the $25 just to keep the number of bags down.

I'll be interested in seeing if Airlines keep the 50lb rule
or go back to 70lbs or even 60lbs They might actually go back
to the higher weights because now that its 50lb, people will
end up taking 2 bags instead of 1 slightly heavier bag.
They will also probably stuff them full.
The net result may end up being twice as many bags
and more total weight than when the weight limit was
higher for a single bag.

--- bill

We pack two sets of gear in the Scubapro roller bag (its overpriced). It comes in slightly over but we either tip the skycap or put the regulator bag in our clothing bag. And thats with the wt. of Back plates. My camera, lenses, and strobes all go in Pelican which I disguise in a huge duffle. (good for return overflow stuff) People don't approve of checking the camera, but I loathe dragging it around on layovers, bathrooms, restaurants, etc.

I agree with Bill, for most purposes a non-Scuba brand roller duffel works fine. Less expensive, and they attract less attention. I have been using a 36" bag by High Sierra (old posts on this abound) but have just ordered a 30" bag because I think I can get all my gear in it, and it is easier to maneuver (36" is just a bit too long to fit into my car trunk easily). At just over 8 lbs empty, it maximizes my useable weight. While I have shoulder straps to use the bag like a backpack, I have thus to deploy them while traveling.

Regarding everyone using two checked bags, I think that instead of increasing the weight limit again, airlines will probably just start charging for a second checked bag.

I doubt the airlines will go back to the 70 lb limit. Simply because they are all going bankrupt and loosing money and because of gas prices.

As for the non scuba bags, I did that before. I used regular roller duffle bags that you could buy anywhere. The zippers weren't heavy enough or was the fabric. Especially after you get both wet with sea water a few times. I had a bag tear in pieces on the baggage carrosel and it's only bee on about 5 plane trips. after that I bought the re-enforced bags with heavier stitching and zippers.

I use the large roller backpack by Akona. IT clamis to hold two sets of gear but I don't see it. I fing it durable and well worth the price

adrisen:
I use the large roller backpack by Akona. IT clamis to hold two sets of gear but I don't see it. I fing it durable and well worth the price

Mine is in for warrenty I haven't found it very durable. It failed after 6 trips.I am not sure if they will even cover the split in the fin pocket where it meets the main compartment.

i have never had a problem with it. I have put it on the plane many times and draged it from dive site to site. I would have no problems buying another one when it finally falls apart. I have had it for more then 2 years

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom