Rolling Eyes at LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cut of my jib my rear, I don't have a jib to cut, he had an attitude and as a result he lost a booking and several hundred dollars of business and the cost of three air fills. To bad for him. When he goes out of business and the other (actually nicer) shop thrives I am sure he will be wondering why.
Yeah, I was totally kidding. The guy is a moron.
The reason I went back to the first shop was to get my Ray Bans
The only glasses one should wear.
When I got back in the Jeep, put on my dark sunglasses, then I rolled my eyes, adjusted the mirror, put on the Stones and rolled.
That's how I roll as well, with the Stones, or with Soul Hits of the '70s.:D

I would say the only thing that ever caught me off guard with my LDS was when I spoke of getting a cert at a diffrent location he told me "You have to remember your getting what you pay for" But the reality is I love my LDS and have no complaints at all with them.

Now traveling I will say the one thing a dive shop did that just floored me was I went to Maui Dive Shop in Maui and asked for Nitrox. There reaction was like I came in and asked for plutonium. They gave me every excuse thats invalid as to why I should not dive Nitrox and why they would not sale it. I asked for the manager and she gave me the same answer. Something about liability.

I went through with the dive but the lack of respect for a paying customer just made me note never go there again

No opinion on the shops decision, but I've had the same situation. There are shops that will not fill tanks made of a certain alloy or of a certain age, based on a history of failures. What can happen is that a tank will pass hydro, and said tank will fail eddy current testing after hydro due to stress cracking at the neck. I've had my tanks refused after personally testing them, after going through formal training, etc.I know the tanks are OK, but the shop wont fill em. it's policy. I respect that, Simply because I know that many tanks are not inspected to the degree possible. The shop has no way of knowing, so they make a blanket decision. fair enough.

It should be in our minds that it's not liability per se, but the possibilty of the tank monkey getting their legs blown off during a fill which causes much of this type of caution.

Proud tank monkey,
Nomad

I don't think you understand that I did not ask for an overfill from either shop and was upset that that they were overfilled (without my specifying such) and yes, he can refuse to fill anything and just as I did, I spent several hundred dollars with another shop because that is my choice to make as the customer when a store refuses to fill two steel 72s in fresh hydro and a Faber LP85 that is brand new without ever taking a close look at them and just waving his arms about dangerous tanks. I suppose if I bought them from him they would no longer be dangerous. N

I roll my eyes at our one shop's adamant insistence that my "tech s*&%" (DIR setup) is inappropriate for local recreational diving. They don't quite come out and say that I am going to die, but they're thinking it . . .

I roll my eyes when those"tech S*&%" (DIR setup) divers show up with 130 cuft scud missiles with 20lbs keel weights still attached to the backplate and no tanks boots then ask "where do you want me to put these" :D

No opinion on the shops decision, but I've had the same situation. There are shops that will not fill tanks made of a certain alloy or of a certain age, based on a history of failures. What can happen is that a tank will pass hydro, and said tank will fail eddy current testing after hydro due to stress cracking at the neck. I've had my tanks refused after personally testing them, after going through formal training, etc.I know the tanks are OK, but the shop wont fill em. it's policy. I respect that, Simply because I know that many tanks are not inspected to the degree possible. The shop has no way of knowing, so they make a blanket decision. fair enough.

It should be in our minds that it's not liability per se, but the possibility of the tank monkey getting their legs blown off during a fill which causes much of this type of caution.

Proud tank monkey,
Nomad

As a side note to the thread, those would be pre-89 6351 alloy Luxfer cylinders, not steel cylinders and even there the danger is more exaggerated legend than fact. JFYI

N

I roll my eyes when those"tech S*&%" (DIR setup) divers show up with 130 cuft scud missiles with 20lbs keel weights still attached to the backplate and no tanks boots then ask "where do you want me to put these"

Not me! I just tell them to put them on the nice rubber mats, and remind them that THEY have to drag them back into the boat . . .

Regarding the "risk" of filling unfamiliar steel cylinders, it would make ALOT more sense to me if there was even the tiniest bit of documented proof that someone has been injured filling steel tanks at a scuba shop. 6351 AL tanks, sure, I would understand that, because there are cases of those tanks failing. But, if you can't tell the difference between a steel and AL cylinder, and you don't know the most basic facts about filling these tanks, then you have NO BUSINESS 'professionally' filling cylinders. Being so ignorant about your business is a FAR great risk than filling an old steel tank.

The combination of ignorance and arrogance exhibited by some LDSs regarding fills is the issue. And of course, it's the shop's compressor, they hav the right to refuse to fill any tank they want. Nobody's going to argue that, but why do they have be uninformed about it? You'd think that they would actually want to learn something about compressed air cylinders and would want to better understand the risks, or lack thereof.

I roll my eyes when those"tech S*&%" (DIR setup) divers show up with 130 cuft scud missiles with 20lbs keel weights still attached to the backplate and no tanks boots then ask "where do you want me to put these" :D

Oy - in my shop you don't even need to have keelies but if the boots are a-missing, eyes are a-rolling!

Regarding the "risk" of filling unfamiliar steel cylinders, it would make ALOT more sense to me if there was even the tiniest bit of documented proof that someone has been injured filling steel tanks at a scuba shop. 6351 AL tanks, sure, I would understand that, because there are cases of those tanks failing. But, if you can't tell the difference between a steel and AL cylinder, and you don't know the most basic facts about filling these tanks, then you have NO BUSINESS 'professionally' filling cylinders. Being so ignorant about your business is a FAR great risk than filling an old steel tank.

The combination of ignorance and arrogance exhibited by some LDSs regarding fills is the issue. And of course, it's the shop's compressor, they hav the right to refuse to fill any tank they want. Nobody's going to argue that, but why do they have be uninformed about it? You'd think that they would actually want to learn something about compressed air cylinders and would want to better understand the risks, or lack thereof.

Oh, no argument there. I was not expressing an opinion per se, just putting some information out there. I just had flashbacks to a shop employee in Florida looking at someones tank with a Mares sticker on it and the employee said "Mares? (pronounced Mears) we don't fill that brand of tank." All three customers, me included, looked at each other and walked out. Odd way to meet new dive buddies, but we had fun after we found another shop.:rofl3:

Nomad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom